1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD TO DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by sajjan1, Oct 25, 2009.

1. sajjan1

sajjan1 Guest

I have lots of vcds which i want to convert to dvd, which is the quickest and best way to this ?

2. attar

attar Senior member

One method is to extract the video using the free version of IsoBuster:
    Run IsoBuster and open the disk, browse to the mpegav folder and select the .dat file.
    Give the file a new name e.g. video.mpg

Run FAVC and load the new .mpg file.
    Choose the correct format for you (PAL or NTSC) and under the tab for QuEnc or Hc Options, select 'Half D-1' for the video resolution.

DVD Flick can also be used for the DVD authoring step - but I find that FAVC gives better audio sync with some problematical files.
    Both programs will optionally burn the disk using ImgBurn.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ISOBuster
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/favc.cfm

[​IMG]

3. benngrimm

benngrimm Member

I am trying to convert 2 disc VCDs to DVD for a friend. I got up to the second part and was not sure about the PAL/NTSC format. The VCDs were made in Asia I believe. The video.mpg I extracted is 352x288 resolution. I am trying to make sure it works on US DVD players. Do I choose PAL or NTSC? I just was not completely sure. Thanks.

4. attar

attar Senior member

North America is NTSC, so the conversion/authoring program would be set to output an NTSC DVD.

5. benngrimm

benngrimm Member

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but I just want to be 100% sure before I start burning anything. Since I have 2 VCDs that I want to put on a single DVD, I would just extract both discs right(video1.mpg and video2.mpg for example)? Add both those .mpg files with FAVC, set to NTSC then 'Generate DVD'? Is that all I have to do? Also, which should I use for the encoder, QuEnc or HC? Thanks for the quick reply attar.

6. attar

attar Senior member

You know of course that you can save the output without burning (uncheck 'Open ImgBurn')and play it with a media player - then go to the folder which contains ImgBurn, run it, and burn the VIDEO_TS folder or the ISO image to the disk.

If you load both VCD files into FAVC they will be burned as two separate Titles on the disk - assuming there is no menu there will be a slight delay as the player locates the second Title.

HCenc is reckoned superior to Quenc - I don't see the difference.

One other thing to consider is that if your source files are low quality you may select 'Half D1' for the output resolution (under the encoder tab).
    The DVD size will be smaller on the TV screen, but it may look sharper than a low quality that fills the screen

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. benngrimm

benngrimm Member

Ok, I did everything and said something about avisynth. I don't think I had it so I installed the latest version. After the second pass of the second video, a message popped up. It went by too fast and I couldn't read it all. Only thing I was able to read said something about mux. I got as far as this part:
    [​IMG]
    That window closed on its own after a while.

8. attar

attar Senior member

MuxMan is the final step in creating the Video Folder or ISO file.
    You specified the destination folder for the output files (in the centre of the main window of FAVC) - did you check to see if the output files are present.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010