1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD versus SVCD...?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by walls83, May 12, 2002.

1. walls83

walls83 Guest

Ive been using VCD but was thinking of starting using SVCD what do you suggest..?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

SVCD beats VCD in quality hands down. Only negative aspect is that decent quality SVCD takes 3 CDs compared to average 2 CDs for VCD.

3. walls83

walls83 Guest

If the only downside is 3 disk to 2 then I will start using SVCDs I have a couple VCD's where the quality just isnt there. Ill try these movies over and see what they look like. Thanks

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Agree, but using the noise reduction in TMPGEnc with a tweaked VBR you can quite often fit films onto 2 CDs. The noise reduction smoothes the video and hence you end up with less data to encode onto video. It has worked well with B&W films and some animation. Just don't go too far with the VBR settings. My DVD player freaks out when the average svcd bitrate is low.

5. dRD

And also remember that some DVD players don't support SVCD at all. Go for Pioneer if you prefer a player that supports every frigging format there is and has a good build quality as well :)

6. walls83

walls83 Guest

jnihil

Could you give me some Ideas on what levels to put VRB settings on..? Im going to try this when I get home from work. thanks

7. dRD

Use a bitrate calculators like DV-Tool to calculate the exact average bitrate to fit your movie to exact the number of CDs you prefer to have (==to fill the CDs 100% each) and use max bitrate of appx. 2300kbps (2x CD read speed, which is max SVCD bitrate) and minimum of 0kbps (or if you have probs with this, try something like 300kbps). And always use 2-pass VBR encoding.

8. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Yes. The bitrate depends on the length of the video you're trying to encode. So bitrate calculators are a must to get the most out of each CD. I'e been using the one available in the link below since it also helps me out with DVD-R calculations, but there are other good ones out there:

http://www.vcdhelp.com/BitrateCalc.zip