1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCR to DivX to DVD-R

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by rebeat, Aug 10, 2004.

1. rebeat

rebeat Member

Hi, i am wondering if there is such a thing to convert my old collection of VCRs to DivX then to DVD... or do i need to capture as mpeg2 then convert to DivX? If so what is the best way to do this? i am new to this forum but from my research, you can reduce the file sizes by 75% using divX without much degradation?

I also see there are now standalone divX dvd players. Is it possible to get 10 hours or more DVD quality via DivX format per DVDr? Are there any forums on this topic? I have searched but not much on DivX DVD's

Cheers,

2. wajordaan

wajordaan Member

A quick summary of what to do.....
    1) Capture the video with VirtualDub. Use a MJPEG codec, such as PicVideo, for video compression.
    2) Load the captured file in VirtualDub.
    3) Deinterlace, Crop and Resize (352x240/288 is recommended for VHS captures, but it is subjective)
    5) Encode using DivX for video and MP3 for audio.
    5) Burn it to DVD using Nero.

I'd say 10 hours is the maximum for VHS captures, encoded at 352x240/288, from a good(low-noise) source.

It takes a while to get it right (I got very confused in the beginning, but then, I was making XVCDs). Read the guides on AfterDawn and Doom9, they are very useful.

3. rebeat

rebeat Member

Hi wajordaan :)

Thanks for the valuable information. With all these divx dvd players coming on the scene, i hope to put together comilations of all my old vcrs of comedy and music in that format. In time there will be all-in-one programs to do that but your guide helps gr8ly :))

Besides, in 10 years time we will need to convert our divx/xvids/mpegs/avis to the latest and gr8est format ...lol

Cheers, REbeAT.