1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCR / VHS to PC Corrupted Line Bottom Part of Screen & white background noise hiss

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by retroborg, Oct 11, 2020.

1. retroborg

retroborg Regular member

Good day

I have a VCR Sharp VC-90ET & Hitachi VT-498EM Tape Recorders connected to my PC using a Leadtek Winfast PVR3000 Deluxe hardware MPEG capture card via an RCA A/V cable. Both seem to work fine with an exception of:

1. A horizontal corrupted line on the bottom part of the screen as pictured in the these YouTube videos. It is more pronounced on the Sharp and slightly more transparent on the Hitachi.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyaUO2iSQJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsNkW0S9c-w

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Also when I play a VHS tape and capture / convert it into an mpeg file, I can hear a slight background white noise like a constant hiss if I increase the volume of the PC speakers higher than 30% when I play the mpeg. The noise is slightly higher when using the Hitachi VCR.
    This occurs with every single VHS tape I've tried and are all in great condition, thus the problem in probably not within the tapes themselves. I also tried a another PVR capture card with the same results.

So is this some technical problem with the VCR recorders and can it be fixed? Maybe cleaning?

My setup:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9500 @2.83GHZ
    MSI GeForce 1070 8GB Gaming X
    Creative SB X-Fi
    8GB Ram
    256GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO
    Win 7 PRO 64BIT
    Nvidia Drivers 441.87 English

Leadtek Winfast PVR3000 Deluxe hardware MPEG

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

It appears that the line you're seeing is the audio track.

I wonder if the player has a setting to display the wave form or the recorder has a setting to create a wave form display.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

retroborg, try cleaning the heads on both recorders to see if still have issue. do you know anybody who has a capture card to see if your recorders still does same on that card? using it for NTSC or Pal?