1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verbatim DataLife Plus (Ink Printable Surface?) - Weak Top

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by no[i]se, Apr 10, 2002.

1. no[i]se

no[i]se Guest

I have a really bad experience with this CDR. There is no complain on the dye but the top surface is very weak. Here in Hong Kong, the average humidity is 80% and so I place the CDRs together with dehumidifiers. However, the disk surface is rather "sticky" and it attaches to anything: plastic CD folders, white CD paper bags, other CDs, etc., in contact after two months. No matter how carefully I pull them apart, there will be bubbles and the surface will come off with the reflexive layer.

I bought them in 50-piece sprindle and there is a white label only:

Item: Verbatim CDR 74min Bulk
    P/N: 41720
    Qty: 50pcs

And the ATIP info follows:

ATIP: 97m 34s 20f
    Disc Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Chemicals Corp.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 654.49MB (74m 30s 00f / LBA: 335100)

2. BillyG

BillyG Member

The top of the Verbatim DataLifes are very thin, I dont know why they are not more durable. Not only do they show fingerprints really well (dont be eating greasy food or potato chips and pick one up), but the coating can be peeled off if you accidently spray CD cleaning fluid on it.

I had a freind who had this happen when he used a Discwasher CD cleaning machine and cleaned the wrong side! Luckly it didnt damage the CD-R and I was able to copy it. I suggest using labels or switching to another brand. Verbatim makes color CD's that have a painted on top that are more durable.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2002
  3. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

I've got one of those same discs, and in the beginning all was OK, but now, one year after burning, the top really did become very sticky, and the top looks like it will come off if something adheres to it.

Also, there is a little hole in a part of the top cover and the metal can be seen through it.

Last edited: May 6, 2002
  4. andavari

andavari Member

Yeah these CD-R's have horrible tops. One solution that I've used is to use another label on top of the factory one for extra protection.

5. no[i]se

no[i]se Guest

Good suggestion! Let me try.

6. fantasy

fantasy Guest

I also live in Hong Kong, the weather is very troublesome .... would you also suggest me some brands that work good in such weather ?
    Thank you . ^^

(Thank you nose, the info is very useful
    and sorry for out-topic)

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2002
  7. no[i]se

no[i]se Guest

(sorry, cd-rw.org, it's a bit out-topic.)

That's 24x/32x (only found in SSP basement)
    Ricoh 24x/32x (cheapest in "Direct Sale Shop", ground floor, SSP)
    Samsung Premium 24x (many places, ~same price)
    Mitsui 16x (only found in Gin Sin, ground floor, SSP)

For causal copies, I use Sky, Imation Encore, Sohot, Yamaha KHS, Whao, etc....

8. vipera

vipera Member

I purchased two different spindles of verbatim valuelife with the plain white tops. First one was mitsubishi and ive had no problems with them. Second spindle were CMCs and just recently (6 months after burning) the backs have started flying off in my car cd player. So far 2 discs have done this and a third has a small flake out of it.

9. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

So CMC is bad from both sides =)

10. vipera

vipera Member

haha, yup
    in my experience with CMCs ive had about 10% failure rate and slow read speeds on any that did burn successfully