1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verbatim made in Mexico???

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by fastD, Nov 8, 2002.

1. fastD

fastD Guest

Last night I found spindles of 100 Verbatim DataLifePlus 48x CDR's for $25.00 in Sam's Club. I checked the labels and found some spindles said "Made in Tawain", which I presume to be CMC discs; and some said "Made in Mexico". Who manufactures discs in Mexico??? Or is this another re-packaging trick? Thanks for any help...

2. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

Why not try showing us the ATIP info?

3. fastD

fastD Guest

I did not post the ATIP info. because I did not buy the spindle. I don't have the discs. I'm sorry... I guess I didn't make that clear in my post. I was just trying to see if anyone had any knowledge of these CDR's before I laid out the cash for them. I am definitely aware that accurate evaluation can not be made without the ATIP info. I was just hoping to not have to spend the money only to find out I got stuck with junk discs.

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

There is plenty of Verbatim talk here, use the search. I beleiva that DataLife Plus is made by Mitsubishi and therefore very good.

5. fastD

fastD Guest

I DID search the forum messages before posting. There IS plenty of Verbatim talk... some of which has said that Verbatim has started using CMC for some of their manufacturing. I want to AVOID buying CMC discs. Also, there was NO MENTION in the messages of Verbatim, or ANY OTHER BRAND, being made in Mexico. Otherwise I also am lead to believe that the DataLifePlus are made by Mitsubishi.

Maybe this is a better question... Does Mitsubishi have plants in Tawain? or Mexico?

Maybe I just have to take my chances and buy the spindle...

6. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

I don't use Verbatim much - it is not very popular in here. My understanding is that the *PLUS* would mean premium quality. Perhaps they are just packaged in Mexico.

7. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

They're both made by mitsubishi. The Taiwan-made ones are made on a production line that used to belong to CMC Magnetics before being bought by Mitsubishi, and the Mexico-made ones are made on a factory that used to belong to Kodak Japan Ltd. The taiwan ones are supposed to be better.

8. motocoke

motocoke Guest

Verbatim Datalife Plus is made by Mitsubishi Chemicals, Taiwan. They also have a Singapore plant but so far only CDRWs are manufactured.

Besides the Datalife PLUS label, also look out for the formulation Metal Azo / Super Azo. If it doesn't have this, then its CMC.

Here's an example : Verbatim GOLD DIAMOND :

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
    Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.82MB (79m 59s 71f / LBA: 359846)

9. motocoke

motocoke Guest

Compare the Verbatim Blue Diamond. It doesn't say Datalife PLUS on the package, but it does say Blue Azo :

[Verbatim Blue Diamond]
    ATIP: 97m 34s 22f
    Disc Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Chemicals Corp.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)