1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VERY NEW AND NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by neonboy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. neonboy

neonboy Member

ok i just downloaded anydvd how do i burn dvds im trying 2 burn or copy or backup whatever word its used friday night lights on this program cuz dvd shrink doesnt work...help please

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

hmmm I backed this movie up w/ Shrink, but I ripped w/ DVD Decrypter first then ran it through Shrink.

Also used the combination of AnyDVD w/ CloneDVD2 (both from slysoft.com)

3. neonboy

neonboy Member

i just decrypted the movie now what do i do?

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember.
    The steps are:
    1)Decrypt/deCSS;
    One could add edit, but that isn't always necessary.
    2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary);
    3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others. I find CopyToDVD to be a good choice as well. DVD Decrypter is a good freeware choice.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Hopefully that gave you a picture of the process. Leave the AnyDVD running, the only time you don't need it is in the burn process. If you have the movie decrypted and hopefully ripped to the HD in file mode by Decrypter, you click open files and browse to and open the Video_TS folder for the movie. http://www.dvdshrink.info has some good guides for beginners, plenty of pictures and easy to understand. They show different operations with Shrink and there is one for the DVD Decrypter as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2005
  6. neonboy

neonboy Member

i was using shrink but the thing is it started encoding and the once it hit 2% it stopped for some reason and it only happened to me on this movie this is the 2nd different dvd im using 2 burn and it work work...is there any way else i can burn this dvd..please help out a newbie

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Read my last post. I edited it.

What encryption does the info page for AnyDVD say is being used? If not opening, you can select it in settings. It is just an info page and does nothing more. Just read it and close.

8. neonboy

neonboy Member

i just decrypted the movie and safed it on my HD and the when i was encoding and at 2% a pop up came from shrink saying " DVD Shink encountered an error and cannot continue. Programming error - exception occurred " want can i do make this work

9. neonboy

neonboy Member

i dont know how to use Any dvd...what do i do just open it up and thats it? do i have to do something in the program? im really lost!!!

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Did you use DVD Decrypter in file mode to rip the movie? AnyDVD should have been running as well. That ensures you have a good rip. Check the files you ripped by opening them with a player program. WinDVD6 does a good job if you don't have one. They have a trial at http://www.intervideo.com (pay attention to system requirements).

[bold]Do your ripped files play properly with the player?[/bold]

11. brobear

brobear Guest

http://www.slysoft.com
    AnyDVD is a driver, which descrambles DVD-Movies automatically in the background. This DVD appears unprotected and region code free for all applications and the Windows operating system as well. With AnyDVD's help copy tools like CloneDVD, Pinnacle Instant Copy, InterVideo DVD-Copy, etc. are able to copy CSS protected Movies. With the help of AnyDVD you can watch movies with non matching region codes with every DVD Player Software you like! AnyDVD decrypts not just DVDs: AnyDVD allows you also to play, copy and rip protected Audio CDs!

[bold]You should have read the product description at the website.[/bold]

12. neonboy

neonboy Member

ok but the thing is i can but this movie ...can u tell me what 2 do so i can burn this movie n remove this major headache of mine..ive been trying since 10 oclock pm and its alreayd 2:21 am

13. brobear

brobear Guest

The red fox icon will be on the taskbar when the program is open. You can double click the taskbar icon or right click it to get to the settings.

14. neonboy

neonboy Member

i understand the things ur telling b4..but the thing is idk how to use any of these programs only dvd shrink...and its giving me a problem w/ this movie

15. neonboy

neonboy Member

yea i have the fox icon...

whats the point of that..dont i have go in the program itself n do things or all i need for it is just 2 b open

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Go to the Slysoft website and download the free trial of CloneDVD2. http://www.slysoft.com It's one of the simplest apps I know of for doing backups. Download, install and use the trial with AnyDVD running in the background. With these two, the process should be no more difficult than burning a CD. You just put in your DVD movie and follow the prompts. If that doesn't work, you'll have to start answering some questions about your PC setup to find what's causing your problem.

17. neonboy

neonboy Member

yea at the settings it shows the movie w/ a + sign and when i click on the - sign the whole list of the movies comes down...what do i do next

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Obviously, you didn't pay attention to the description. AnyDVD does the decryption work in the background. Once on, you don't do anything. There are only a couple of personal preferences you can change, they have nothing to do with the way the program works (it always works without your input), just how the files open once you record them.

19. neonboy

neonboy Member

when u start burning a dvd does anydvd go away?

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Stop and think about it for a minute. Go get a coke or whatever, you've been trying too hard and probably getting frustrated if you've been trying to record the same movie for 4 hours. When you come back after a short break, read the rest of this post.

AnyDVD, it's been described. It is there to break the encryption and ensure the disc plays, nothing more and you don't do anything except observe that it is on. Then you do your recording as usual.

The files should be ripped to the HD with DVD Decrypter set to Files under Mode. All you have to do is rip with AnyDVD left on. AnyDVD needs to be on at all times. The only time it isn't functioning is during the burn. It is still on as long as the red fox icon is on the taskbar, unless you turn it off. (With AnyDVD on, just let it work and don't worry about it. It does an excellent job without you doing anything to or with it).

The ripped files can be opened and played on a player to check for problems if necessary.

You should have a good set of ripped files to transcode (prepare for burning). You enter the files according to the program you're using. CloneDVD2 has the simplest interface for the beginner.

Friday Night Lights posed no extraordinary problems.

So, you have the option of using the files in the DVD Shrink or CloneDVD2 trial I mentioned. For ease and since you had a malfunction with Shrink, see how things work with the CloneDVD2 trial. You can revisit Shrink later. Shrink is a good app. I use better, but there was money involved.

Once you've tried the recording with the CloneDVD2 trial and AnyDVD, do you still have the same problem of the recording stopping when it is just getting started?

By the way, it's a common practice to try another program to see if the one you're using is the problem.