1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VERY NEW AND NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by neonboy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

if friday night lights has un-referenced material, insert a still picture or image. Then click backup

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

3. neonboy

neonboy Member

i finally got it done..i saved it on to my hard drive and then basically picked the files i wanted to burn n put the blank dvd-r in the drive n just let it encode and started burning so im happy there..brobear..thanx alot for the help and taking time 2 explain that 2 me...

i have another question i wanted 2 burn braveheart and movies like scarface pearl harbor..on to a dvd-r thats 4.7 or whatever the right number is..but on dvd shrink it says not enough space do i really have to go out n buy biggder dvds or what can i do

i even tried 2 burn just the movies itself w/o the extra stuff that comes w/ the movie and still to big

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

There are a couple of ways you could do these larger movies but I will give you the one I reccomend
    1. Split the movie and put it on two discs (very good quality this way) There is a guide at my wesite link is in my signature. :)

5. brobear

brobear Guest

I use Rebuilder with Cinema Craft Encoder to do the large movies that take a lot of compression. http://www.rebuilder.com has a self installer for the program now and there's a lot of help threads for the setup. It is a bit tricky, but it's the best for doing high compression tasks. Read up on it and see if that is something you might be interested in. Other than that, Shrink using deep Analysis and the quality burn settings are about as good as you're going to get. The one I use personally before I go up to RB/CCE is DVDCopy3 from InterVideo. They have a trial for that one http://www.intervideo.com . Another option is transcoding to the hard drive with Shrink if the file won't compress enough and then repeat the process to get it on down. I've heard of people doing that. With the software I have, I've never had to do it personally.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

On bigger discs, that would be a dual layer DVD9R with about 8.5GB. Then you would have to have a dual layer burner. With the DVD5 (4.7GB) you pay about 40 cents per disc for a quality item usually. The dual layer DVD9Rs go for about $10. So, it is best to use the 4.7 whenever possible. Now that you have your recording done, I will give you the canned material I have for novices. I know there are a couple of things in this that will help later. Grab a coke and read on.

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember.
    The steps are:
    1)Decrypt/deCSS;
    One could add edit, but that isn't always necessary.
    2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary);
    3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others. I find CopyToDVD to be a good choice as well. DVD Decrypter is a good freeware choice.

If you haven't already, check out the AnyDVD that I mentioned earlier.