1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very New Need Help to ...how to burn DVD to watch in our van

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by magoogirl, Mar 29, 2003.

1. magoogirl

magoogirl Guest

I just bought a new computer last week that has a dvd writer/cd-writer combo. I have download movies off the internet and burned them. I can watch them on the compuer, but they do not work on our DVD player in our van. I know this is probably a stupid question but I am lost. I need to know where can I download the movies that I can burn and watch off the computer. my email magoogirl006@cox-internet.com

2. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

what format are the movies in?
    AVI? or MPG? or VOB?

let me know
    peace
    seamonkey420

3. magoogirl

magoogirl Guest

Some are AVI some say Dix. I have downloaded 3 more now the problem I am having is I can hear the song but the only thing I see is a black screen that says Windows Media.

THanks for the help I really need it.lol

4. whompus

whompus Active member

you need codecs go here http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ and get the divx pro 5.03 and the xvid codecs to start with.

This is going to get them playing on the comp but not on the van dvd player. For that you will need to transcode the files.

There are many good guides here and other forums for that depending on what they are to begain with.

5. Susie

Susie Member

Magoogirl.. I have the same problem. I burned them to a DVD and they play on my computer and DVD player, but they are unwatchable. The sound is muffled and so is the video. I've been all over the web on forums and checking out tutorials, but it's all so confusing (I REALLY am a newbie) I'll let you know if I fugure it out. Please let me know if you do...

6. j2huggar

j2huggar Regular member

I hope you didn't buy your DVD player for just burning movies off the net and watching them in your van DVD player, because its going to be a lot more hastle than its worth.

7. rawhead

rawhead Member

What computer - or more impportant, what DVD RW drive is in it? I depends on what kind of drive you have. Is it a DVD+RW drive?

When I was looking for my new system, I almost got a sony viao which says it has a DVD RW drive in it. Turns out you can burn all you want, but the disks won't play anywhere except for on your computer. I believe HP does include it's DVD+RW drive on many of it's models but beware of the exact drive you are getting. There is a difference. Sounds like you have a DVD-RW drive. Disks made on these generally will only play on your computer. You need a DVD+RW drive.

8. Susie

Susie Member

I purchase a computer with a dvd+r drive. I can copy DVD's onto DVD+R's and they play fine on my computer and my DVD player. My problem is with downloaded clips. I know I need to convert them, but don't know what format I have to convert them to.