1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very new to burning

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Angel1381, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Angel1381

Angel1381 Member

I have a compaq computer with a DVD/CD writer drive. The computer came with Record Now and Intervideo WinDVD Creator. I was wondering if anyone knew how to use these programs and if I can burn DVD's with them. If not, what do I need to get to do that. Also, what DVD's do I need. DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD-RW. Thanks.

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You need to know what type of burrner your DVD burrner is. Some burrners use DVD-R or DVD+R and some do both. So you need to find out what format it takes. You will find alot of diffrent programs out there to back up DVDs. Most commen are.

DVD Decrypter - Ripping tool/getting past encryption copy protection/burrning ISO file

DVDShrink - To compress a DVD9 disc to a DVD5
    DVD9 disc is a disc that has 2 layers burnt on 1 side where a DVD5 disc only has 1 layer burnt.

AnyDVD to get around encryiption copy protection

These are just a few that i use others might have other sugestions. So do a search on Guides to use the above programs most are simple and you should beable to follow the guides.

3. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Hey welcome to the club,
    First thing to do would be to find out what model burner you have and see what media"+r,-r" it can burn. There are also programs that can do it for you like Nero.Also if you recently purchased the comp you should be able to call the store and see what type of burner comes with the package.
    As far as copying dvd's I would recomend Dvd Shrink and Dvd Decryptor, both free.
    Check out ScubaPete's guides on how to use both programs together to rip/burn here:
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/petesguide3.html

Also go here for more on Dvd Shrink:
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php
    There's a bunch of other guide's and info about these proggy's as well.Heck there's a whole forum devoted to Shrink.The more you know the better your chances of not making coaster's "failed burns/wasted discs".
    Biggest tip I could give you would be to use good quality media, you can try and try to no avail, and all along it was crummy disc's.Search around the media forums and see what's hot and what's not.Everyone has their own preference, as do burners.

Spend some time and search around on here, everytime I go lurking I learn something new. If you have any problems do a search on it, chances are it's already happened to someone else.
    Good Luck

4. Angel1381

Angel1381 Member

I got as far as the shrinking program, but I am really not sure where to go after that. If I can use the programs on my pc or not???

5. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Give us some Pc Spec's, I've used them on my sister's vaio or however that's spelled, as well as 2 of my buddy's comps. They've all worked, some slower than other depending on the comp....

6. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member