1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very newbie ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cstewar2, Feb 17, 2005.

1. cstewar2

cstewar2 Member

I have just purchased a computer with burning capabilities. I would like to burn DVD's, Cd's etc. I have researched somewhat on here and feel that it is still a little above my head. Where do I start.
    I view people comparing Dycryptor and Nero. I also see software such as One Click DVD. Does One Click DVD just make the process simpler. In which you still have to download Dycr. or Nero. If someone can explain the very basics to get me going and offer opinions on what software to get etc., It would me greatly appreciated.

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Reasonable questions.

But tell us what kind of dvd's you want to burn. You want backups of commercial movie dvd's? (Probably the easiest place to start.) Compilation dvd's of video's in non-dvd format avi, mpeg, divx, etc.)? (This is not as easy.)

3. cstewar2

cstewar2 Member

mainly burning commercial DVD movies which have to encrypted.

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

probably best to start out with the freeware. DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter.
    Shrink is a very good transcoder that can compress your movies to fit those single layer blanks. It also has ripping/decrypting capabilities but is not very successfull with the newer encryption used by Sony.
    DVD Decrypter is a very good ripper/decrypter and also has burning abilities but only ISO files.
    1Click is one of those "easy to use" programs to fit your movies on a single layer disc, but needs a decrypting program such as DVD43(free) or AnyDVD(pay$) that runs in the background.
    There's also the Nero Ultra suite that has a bunch of programs bundled together including a transcoder to compress the files(Recode) and burning app(burning Rom) and an encoder for AVI's(Nerovision Express). It's not a free program unless you want to donwload the free trial each month.

For some simple guides, visit here..........
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html

5. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I agree with zippyd. For backing up commercial dvd's, get dvd decrypter and dvd shrink. Use dvd decrypter to copy ("rip") the dvd to your hard drive. I suggest you use "file mode" (under the "Mode" menu). This will copy the dvd to a VIDEO_TS folder, where you can see the kinds of files that make up a dvd (such as VOB files). Then open up dvd shrink, use the "Open Files" button to browse to the VIDEO_TS folder that dvd decrypter created, and it will load the folder. dvd shrink is very easy to learn to use. Making it even easier are some very nice flash tutorials at www.dvdshrink.info.

Do yourself a favor and go through them. They don't take long, and in no time you'll be comfortable with the interface. Pay attention to the "compression" tab, and don't try to copy the entire contents of a commercial dvd movie to a single dvd. Commercial movie dvd's are usually dvd9 (dual layer) and you'll likely be burning to dvd5 (single layer). You'll get better quality (less compression) doing a "movie only" backup with dvd shrink. If there are deleted scenes, alternate endings, commentary, or other "extras" that you want, use dvd shrink to burn them to a separate dvd.

Good luck, have fun, and when you get stumped, you know where to come for help.

Edit: Ha! I just noticed the link to dvdshrink.info in zippyd's sig. Click on it!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  6. Gringle

Gringle Guest

My suggestions are:
    find some of of the very good guides written by Scuba Pete and bbmayo, Download them, print them, and use them.
    It's a lot easier than opening multi progs.

Secondly buy some DVD-RWs' I use Traxdata (Ritek) but any of the major players are good.. and burning coasters' is just pure wastefull.

Here in the UK I live close to a genuine Ritek supplier
    so I use Ritek, others have other preferences.

good luck, and happy burning.

gringle

7. bones64

bones64 Guest

hi i am new to this chat, threading posting of messages so i hope i donyt offend any one by doing something wrong but i have a question.
    i just purchased DVDx copy to burn copies of my dvd collection i think i know the answer to this question but can i give this to a friend and can he activate it if not ccan i buy another activation code? what happens if my computer crashes and i have to reinstall will it activate????
    i am willing to but another activation code as long as is does not cost as much as original program
    thnks

8. cstewar2

cstewar2 Member

Another? , I have a 48x CD-RW and 16X DVD+/-RW with double layer write capability. Would I need DVD shrink if I were to have this capability. Also, I see that One Click has dual layer support. Does that mean I could put everything on one disc since the computer and the software has these capablities. What are the advantages DVD Dycryptor and DVD Shrink over One Click. It seems that the process is much more complicated than One Click. Thanks all for your advice!

9. cstewar2

cstewar2 Member

ttt, anybody

10. Gringle

Gringle Guest

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

bones64 your question should be directed to the dvd x copy fourm click it at the bottom of the page.hope you didnt pay to much for it cause its an outdated program. you can activate it like 4 times under your email addy .so your i dont think you can loan it out to someone else cause the email addy wont match.i wouldnt but another one either. try other more updated programs that are freeware like dvd shrink dvd decrypter and anydvd but thats a trail for 21 days then you have to pay for it it runs in the background hope that helps some.

12. zippyd

zippyd Active member

If you want to purchase dual layer discs which are about $7(US)each, you can do a direct copy of your DVD9 movies. If you want to purchase single layer discs($.50each) then you'll need to either compress the files, remove stuff, or split the movie across 2 discs.