1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very Strange Monitor Problems...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Rikka, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Rikka

Rikka Member

Bear with me here, as I'm not very computer hardware-savvy. My monitor is behaving very strangely, and because of it, I can't use my computer, mainly because I can't see anything!

My monitor is a 17" Hyundai Q17, and has worked excellently up until about a week ago. It started when it suddenly went dark, even though both my computer and the monitor it self was on. I turned it off and turned it on again. For a second, everything was picture-perfect, then it suddenly went dark again (I did it about 10-20 times too!). Closer inspection revealed that the picture was actually there, but not lit up. As if the light in the monitor itself had been severly dampened. With the help of my desktop lamp I managed to navigate enought too see that the settings for my monitor were as they had been before, and so was the power supply...To me it seems that something is wrong with the monitor itself!

I would like to know if any of you have experienced similar troubles like this, especially with Hyundai, and what you did to get it fixed (if it can be fixed). Or if you think I should just get a new one, since the Q17 is actually about 4 yrs old...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi Rikka,
    Yes. It could possibly/probably be inexpensively repaired, but 4 years is a long time (in monitor-years, LoL) and they have changed a lot.
    Your monitor probably does 85Hz maximum refresh rate @ 1024 x768 resolution. If you have been running @ max for years now, full bright and contrast, your monitor is tired.
    Tip: get your PC going (with another monitor or whatever) and manually apply 60Hz refresh rate. Your monitor might then function okay. If so, then sneak it up to 75Hz, check that out...
    But thank goodness new monitors are very inexpensive :^)
    Regards

3. Rikka

Rikka Member

Well, I hadn't really thought of that! Thank you!

Just one thing: how do you do it? (I have Windows XP)

And by inexpensively, about how much do you mean?

Edit: I just checked the refresh rate, and it's at 60 Hz, which means that's probably not the problem...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member