1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very Strange WinRar problem.. I've tried everything but to no avail, please help!

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by vstplug, Apr 30, 2008.

1. vstplug

vstplug Member

OK, the common part of this story is that WinRAR gives me "CRC Error, File is Corrupt" when I try to extract a large multi-Rar file.

The uncommon part is: I'm running the latest WinRAR (3.7.1) on Windows XP SP2, SFV Checker checks all RARS as OK, and the RAR extracts fine on my girlfriend's computer (Vista, WinRar 3.7.1)! (Yes, I'm starting extraction from the same file on both computers. It works on hers, but not on mine, even though we're using the same version of WinRAR and starting extraction from the same file).

I tried PowerArchiver, and I get the same CRC/File Corrupt error on my computer.

I've scanned my computer for viruses, even run all of the virus scanners/fixes recommended in the majorgeeks.com malware removal support forum. I've even uninstalled WinRar, removed all Winrar entries from the Windows Registry, then Reinstalled WinRar. Still CRC/File Corrupt Error.

I even tried taking the disk that I used to transfer the data to my GF's computer (where the extraction worked fine) and copied the data from that disc back to my hard drive, then tried extracting that data.. STILL CRC/File Corrupt Error.

I would just ditch this archive and move on, but this problem happens very often on my computer.. Only when attempting to extract large, multi-RAR archives. Sometimes it works fine, but often it doesn't.

Has anyone ever seen this happen before? Does anyone know a solution, or anything else I can try? I'm really pulling my hair out over this one

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Have you checked your hard drive and RAM for errors lately?

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  3. vstplug

vstplug Member

I checked my RAM using Microsoft's bootable application, but not my hard drive. Can you recommend a good tool to use for checking the hard drive?

Thanks for responding

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

chkdsk is what I use, with the /f switch.

5. vstplug

vstplug Member

OK, I ran chkdsk on both of my drives. It found some bad clusters and repaired them.

However, after this, I went back and redownloaded one of the multi RAR archives that had previously been giving me CRC error. Upon extraction, it STILL gives me CRC error.

I used SFV checker to verify the archives, and it says they're fine. The archives extract with no problems on my girlfriend's computer.
    Plenty other people are downloading this same multi RAR archive and extracting with no problems. So, the problem must be with my computer.

As I said before, I have the most up to date version of WinRAR 3.71. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling WinRAR after I ran chkdsk, but it didn't help.

Can you suggest anything else that may solve this problem?

PS- I have "Keep corrupt files" turned on in WinRAR. However, the corrupt file doesn't work.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  6. zaki23

zaki23 Member

Hi vstplug,
    After searching for the CRC error on google I found your message in this forum. I actually have the same problem as yours, nothing different!
    On the same computer I tried to install Windows XP SP1, SP2 and now I'm under Vista SP1 32bit. I still get CRC errors on those 3 different OS (same computer).
    Files aren't corrupt because i checked them with SFV, i tried different sources, other multipart files, they unpack correctly on my father's computer (unfortunately I don't have a girlfriend lol). I guess there's something hardware behing all that ?
    I tried Memtest86+ bootable to check my memory (4GO RAM) no errors...so I wonder how we could fix this problem ?
    I have a Core2Duo E6750 @ 2.66 Ghz and Motherboard ASUS P5W DH with Geforce 7800 256Mo.
    When I check "keep corrupt files" on Winrar with multi-part RAR files that contain music it's fine, but when I use it with Multi-rar files that contain ISO file they are unrared but never work, because they are corrupt.
    For example when I open the Winrar-window the ISO file is 6.5 Gigas, when unrared with "keep corrup files" I get a 5.3 gigas file...so I guess something is wrong because of CRC error and this is why it's unreadable.
    Anyone can help us with that issue? We need some experts in here please!!
    I will appreciate help for that!

Kind regards,

Zack

7. varnull

varnull Guest

It's one of 2 things.. a bad archive, but if it unpacks on another machine we can rule that out... or bad ram. I haven't used winrar in a very very long time.. but I seem to remember in the older versions there was a way to actually set how much memory the application could use.. under the "advanced options" tab.

Perhaps trying an older or free version might solve the problem... people always seem to assume that the latest is the greatest, which we have shown time and time to not be the case.

there is a linux application called "unrar".. don't know if there is a windows version, but it isn't made by rarlab.

8. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Some "cracked" versions of WinRar, obtained via Bit Torrent, are known to be corrupted and to contain bugs. One is called "Corporate Edition". RarLabs never made a corporate edition.

I suggest trying a different extraction application.

9. zaki23

zaki23 Member

Hi,
    I've tried several programs such as: 7zip, Winrar, Winzip, TugZip, TotalCommander I have the CRC error with all those programs!!
    Maybe it is an error from my HardDisk ?
    Any suggestion ?

10. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Could be. The only way to know is to try another disk.

11. zaki23

zaki23 Member

Hi,
    I've tried it, still the same problem!!
    VSTPLUG, have you got any newe from your part? have you sorted it out ?
    Let me know,

Zack

12. psplvanub

psplvanub Guest

yer i have a cracked version and i actually have to go into the archive to extract, as the extract to, extract here and the other button (i forget what it says) are null and non-functional.

13. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Like I said, some cracked versions are broken. Some will work fine on some archives but not others (e.g. packed ones).