1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

very unusual windows media player error

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by evil, Aug 12, 2004.

1. evil

evil Member

When i try and play an xvid video file, i get the following message on windows media player: "This pin cannot use the supplied media type". I've played this file before and its worked fine, why all of a sudden iis this happening? Any help would be appreciated.

2. frazerg

frazerg Member

I have the same problem. I suspect its because I've recently changed my sound playback digital device from the installed one to the driver that supports the USB link to my Kenwood stereo.
    I don't know how to fix it, or why this is happening, but if anyone knows, I'd really appreciate a little help

3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

frazerg ---

You got it right ! ~~smiles! this is a DirectX error and if you update your sound card drivers and then re-install DirectX , you should get rid of the the error.

4. frazerg

frazerg Member

Jeanc1, thanks for the assist, but being a relative novice at this sort of thing, could you break it down for me a bit more?

I just installed the USB driver for my stereo yesterday; does this mean I can't use the USB connection to my stereo anymore?

The default playback device previous to that was SoundMax Direct Audio; is that the same thing as Direct X?

Appreciate your help!

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Microsoft DirectX is an advanced suite of multimedia application programming interfaces (APIs) built into Microsoft Windows; operating systems.Simply put, DirectX is a Windows technology that enables higher performance in graphics and sound when you’re playing games or watching video on your PC.

You can download a fresh copy here :-

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

6. frazerg

frazerg Member

Did that, very easy, but after I installed it, same problems occurred. Do I also have to reconfigure anything in my system?

And also, I re-iterate; will this effect my use of the USB driver that is currently my default playback device?

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

YES, go back to your SoundMax !

Then you will know that your change of sound driver is causing the problem.

[bold]This is what my original post meant. [/bold]

Please dont [bold]re-iterate[/bold]--- people answering you are doing this in their spare time and dont have the time to treat this Forum as a Chat Board, my answer was a process for you to answer that question yourself .

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2004
  8. aiwman

aiwman Member

I found out what caused this error on my machine.

You dont happen to have an All-In-Wonder card and used its DVD-Player lately ? I think this DVD-Player application makes some changes to the codecs when you start it, and when you exit the application it writes back the configuration that you had before.

I had the same error. Start the DVD-Player, exit it. After this I can play any file again with no such error msg.