1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vfapi convert (reopened)

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by kmart, Jul 20, 2002.

1. kmart

kmart Member

Unfortunately you closed the thread without assuming my I didn't look into the problem, but I did, and I can't solve it.

Here's the post history:
    ===============================
    ======
    kmart:
    I know, I know, all I do is ask questions. I can't help it.

Anyway, I managed to rip Mr. Show, though I'm not sure exactly how, but now vfapi convert won't open up the d2v file! This never ends...

======
    dRD:
    Answered, replied and went through this zillion times. "Search messages" button has a purpose. You very likely are missing either one .dll, are using some weird version of d2v, haven't installed the VFAPI Reader Codec before using the converter, haven't registered d2v vfapi plugin before launching converter or any mixture of these issues.

Use the search Luke.

=====
    ===============================

When I try opening the .d2v I get the following error message:

???? C:\divx\videorip\mr.show.d2v ????

The following other posts ask about this error:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1603
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/538
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1210

The only thread that gives an answer says "try using DVD2AVI 1.76" but I'm already using that one.

My vfapi directory has all the .dlls that come with the vfapi zip (one dll: "VFCodec.dll"). I've run the vifpset.bat already, and I've run it again for good measure.

You shouldn't be so rash in assuming this question has already been answered, because as far as I can tell, according to the message database, this problem has not been answered.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2002
  2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Try to run DVD2AVI again -- it registers its .vfp file to VFAPI Reader Codec if it hasn't been done already. Then try to convert it again.

Also, one .dll, mentioned few times when people are having problems opening .d2v files with TMPGEnc directly, is sometimes missing from people's HDDs and this causes the issue that .d2vs can't be opened sometimes. Look into search messages.

Also, I hope that you simply didn't just extract the dvd2avi.exe from dvd2avi package -- all files need to be extracted into same dir, then run the dvd2avi and it registers the .d2v reader.

3. kmart

kmart Member

I've installed the entire DVD2AVI package into a single directory. I tried running DVD2AVI then closing it then running VFAPI convert. Then I tried running VFAPI Convert while DVD2AVI was still opened. I've installed the TMPGEnc vfapi reader codec thing, but it still doesn't work. I've run the .bat that comes with VFAPI.

I've tried all of that, and it still doesn't work. I think the important thing to pay attention to is my error message:

???? C:\divx\videorip\mr.show.d2v ????

I've noticed some other people had that same error message, but as far as I can tell, I don't see any solutions.

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Can't really help any further as I've never ever experienced any problems with VFAPIConvert. Sorry.

5. Puppafish

Puppafish Guest

I had exactly the same problem - I'm not sure
    what causes it but the solution is that you
    need to delete the registry keys for VFPlugin
    from HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software and then
    reinstall the ReadAVS dll (make sure you use
    the correct path in the .reg file).

6. Zenow

Zenow Member

let me pickt this back up..

I had no 'problem' loading a d2v file before I restarted dvd2avi, but hitting 'covert' didn't generate a file. Also, I saw gibberish (possibly japanese text not properly displayed because of the lack of a font) in the screen.

I was, however, able to choose what type of file I wanted to open, and .d2v was one option.

After I restarted DVD2avi, I get the same error as anyone else. Furthermore, in the open dialog there is no longer any content in the filetype pulldown menu, leading me to believe there is actually something wron with this version of vfapirc (which is 1.04beta). All the other software I am using was downloaden through this site, as I would think you link to the working versions.

Deleting the registry key did nothing, btw.

Could the OS be a factor? I am running WinXP

7. Zenow

Zenow Member

fixed it already.
    For those messing with this:
    all you need is the software you can download from this site.
    if you've deleted the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/vfplugin entries as stated about, run the right version (i.e.dvd2avi 1.7 you find on this site) immediately quit it. Then check the registry key you just deleted, it should have reappeared, now pointing to the right file.

Then BE SURE TO REBOOT
    and then just use vfapi as stated in the articles here.

8. kmart

kmart Member

Ok, that might be a solution to a problem with the same symptoms as mine, but my problem was different. I have two zip files in my "divx" directory. One is DVD2AVI 1.76, and the other was DVD2AVI 1.77.3. So I was using 1.77.3 and for some reason or other, I forget, I wanted to switch to 1.76. So I dragged the DVD2AVI.exe file from the 1.76 zip, and replace the 1.77.3 .exe. I didn't replace any of the other files that come with the zip, so I had a mixed bag: a 1.76 DVD2AVI.exe with all the other files from the 1.77.3 zip. When I tried it again, properly, it worked fine. Thanks for all the help tho.

9. Jones1001

Jones1001 Member

I did about 2 hours of searching throughout this forum to find solution to why I am not able to use VFAPI program. I get error message and I tried everything to make that program work. No luck. What os are people using? (people without problems using VFAPI)

Do I need a plugin for VFAPI or something?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2002