1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem VGA pins broken

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Mickoz74, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

Hi there hope I’m posting in the right place.
    Quick question I have a VGA cable embedded in my wall previous owner did all the cabling, I’ve included a photo of the connector I think plug needs replacing is this possible? And can you tell from photo are the pins messed up. I’ve seen pin protectors if the pins are just bent not missing I’d put one of these on it.
    Many thanks
    P.S there is no way to get cable out of wall there’s meters behind plasterboard.
    Am I right in saying the pin that’s missing is
    Pin 4 ID2/RES

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

The best I can tell from your photo, the connector is missing a pin. In addition, the one in the upper right hand corner looks severely bent and one in the second row looks slightly bent. If you're good with a soldering gun, you can replace the connector. You would have to strip back the wire and make sure you connect each wire to the proper pin. I don't know if this helps-

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...608025132166545737&selectedIndex=5&ajaxhist=0

3. aldan

aldan Active member

are you using this cable?if not,cut it off close to the wall,go to the other side of the wall if possible and pull it out.if you cant pull it out drive it into the wall with a hammer and a punch.little plaster repair and you will never know its there.it is missing a pin and so is unusable as it is.

4. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

I’ve bent the pins back I think number 4 is not used in new tech from what I can make out, I’ve seen replacement heads with solder and screw type so I think I’m gonna try there, I’ve not used this cable but I will when I get it working I’d rather not cut it off at the wall as that would be pointless, I can’t work out if it’s pin 2 or 4 though

5. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

it is pin 4 as is reserved so not needed. if replacing connector then cut cable as close to old connector as possible NOT close to the wall. I used to make these cables back in the early 90's. look at this link. https://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA15_pinout.shtml

Mickoz74 likes this.
  6. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

Ffg7 I bent all the other pins back straight so I’m going to test it and hope for the best if not looks like I’m replacing plug

7. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

Ok realignment of the pins and it looks ok just to to test it

Attached Files:

8. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Thanks for the response. It looks like you're good to go if you connect a monitor that supports it. Just looked back at the link I gave you and it shows, for the older VGA pinout, there's no pin at #9.

Mickoz74 likes this.
  9. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

I’ve read up on it, after all that they used 15 pins then gave up on pin 9 I fixed mine then they use it for +5v from graphics card still might be of use. Thanks everyone