1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA to HDMI possible?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by xalaros, Feb 28, 2006.

1. dampav

dampav Member

So, what you are saying, I WILL get 1080 over such a converter if I feed it a 1920x1080 resolution from my PC? I mean, pixel per pixel picture? Which converter was it again and where did you buy it?

Taltamir, would you recommend VGA2component over VGA2HDMI converter?

I mean, I know you guys can't give any quarantee, of course. It's just that I am grieved enough with having to buy additional component just to get what should be available within the box. Sony could have built this converter in in the first place. I would have paid 2600€ just as well, instead of 2500€, what's the f** difference? But, it would only add to my grief if it turned out that whatever I am going to buy would not give me the results I expected. That's bucks outa window and I can't have it.

2. dampav

dampav Member

I just got to Startech specs and they say max feed from PC is 1600x1200... :-( That rules it out.

3. ipmark

ipmark Member

Yea, 1600x1200. A lot of the listings say that it will convert 1080p, but the startech site gives more info and says it doesn't do it from pc. Boo.

The other option is the Gefen VGA to DVI scalar (then just need a simple dvi to hdmi adapter, same signal). It'll do PC input up to 1920x1200 but I don't know if you'll get pixel to pixel mapping.

4. dampav

dampav Member

I found Gefen as well, yes. The specs are promising, however, when you look at the price tag... Come on, 260€ for a converter? What does it do, make blockbuster flicks on the fly? Way too steep. At this price, I might consider a new MM PC after all.

In fact, looks like I'm stuck at 1360x768 until I actually get one. It's just, the one I have is not THAT old, it works great, is silent, small factor and all... Hard to part with something you like and trust, dammit.

5. ipmark

ipmark Member

Yea, thats the prob I had too. You can get a video card that outputs DVI for <$100, just depends on what form factor.

I bought a refurb HP HTPC's so it only had one half-height PCI slot (not express). Even then I could find a video card for that... but aside from the DVI out it would be an inferior card to whats already onboard.

Try looking into video cards first... HDMI = DVI so you'd just need a cheap DVI to HDMI cable and you're set.

6. dampav

dampav Member

Well, done some more research & reading and I believe I can actually upgrade my box wit an AGP 4x card. Aopen rules. I also found a cheap GeForce 6200 with DVI output and passive cooling, which makes it perfect.

Unfortunately, I also found some unsettling reading about HDCP. Apparently, in order for the HDTV to show anything else but black screen, the HDMI signal has to comply to HDCP and carry a signature. Therefore, the appliance that generates the signal, be it HDMI or DVI, has also to comply with HDCP.

To until recently, no computer graphics card is HDCP capable. 2006 models certainly are not.

There is talk about DRM flags that are part of the media. A PC desktop is no DRM protected media, so I wonder, will HDTV let me see my 1920x1080 desktop over DVI/HDMI or not? Again, anyone done this before?

7. ipmark

ipmark Member

Dunno the specifics, but I know for sure people use DVI to HDMI from their PCs to their tvs. You pretty much HAVE to use Powerstrip though (google it, its from entech taiwan or something).

DVI to HDMI is the most common method, if you're screwed like I was then you can use a conversion box.

Be warned though, theres a significant amount of tweaking involved in the process and you will most likely get SOME overscan no matter what you do.

8. dampav

dampav Member

I have been most lucky, as it seems.

First, my Aopen XC Cube (EZ18!! one of the first models) was able to take an "upgrade", that is, it has on-board VGA (dual-head Nvidia) but it also features an AGP 4x slot. Also, I was able to purchase a GeForce6200/128/TD with DVI out and passive cooling! Plug it in, it takes over, bingo. The updated ForceWare (Nvidia) was immediately aware that I connected a "Sony TV" to DVI and offered HDTV modes right away.

Second, I got picture the second I plugged the DVI to HDMI cable in. Granted, I had to poke around the settings of both the card and the tv (Sony KDL-46W2000) for an hour or so. At first, the picture was shown only partially, a strip all around the desktop was off-screen. It got me worried back there, I must say. I tried meddling with frequencies, sizing the visible desktop on the card, but none of that was satisfactory, pixels bleeding and such. Finaly, I found a setting on the tv set, Screen menu, Display Area. It has options "Normal", "-1", "-2" and sweet spot, "Full Pixel".

So, finally, no frequency tweaking, no Powerstrip. And no VGA. Although, this has to be said, the 1360x768 picture from the VGA input was beautiful as well, and great for watching ordinary DVDs.

As for HDCP, looks like much ado about nothing. By the time Blueray and the likes will get the chance to become commonplace, all this nonsense will get hacked, cracked, ripped and ignored. Just as DVD zones have been.

9. sahbst

sahbst Member

I am in a same boat. (upconverting over HDMI only)

What i am thinking of doing is to use my video card(PC)(or perhaps get myself a better video card such as X1300 Radeon) to push 1080i/p over the vga cable to my projector(1080i only).

How do you think it will do the job?
    And the quiality of the pictiure?

10. dampav

dampav Member

As far as I was able to learn, a VGA cable won't do the job. If you have a HDMI input on you projector, and you have DVI output (x1300 do have it) on your PC, the most sensible solution is to use a DVI to HDMI cable. No conversion is necessary, therefore there should be no loss in the quality of the picture. Your projector might have some weird settings which distort the picture received, you have to find an option (at your projector) that will show full pixel-per-pixel image. (see my experience with Sony Bravia above)

11. sahbst

sahbst Member

I have a Benq 620p.
    It does not have a HDMI input but it does have a vga input.
    I have a homemade component to vga cable which is used between in the HDTV cable box(component) and the projector(vga). This configuration gives me 1080i as the projector is capable to take in 1080i through vga.

If i were to use a DVI to VGA adapter, to use between the computer and the projector, my guess is that this setup would work.

What do you think?

12. iris2008

iris2008 Guest

Hi, I am Iris and happen to see the news about "VGA to HDMI possible?". Now I can tell you that is very easy, as we manufacture such item( HDMI Switch) and it sells well. we take pride of the high quality and moderate price. we can tell you loud that the quality is very steady. hehe, Please contact me: MSN: edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2007
  13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

iris, no advertising allowed on this site unless paid for & no email posting as per forum rules. post edited
    1. Advertising via forum messages is strictly prohibited. If you need to advertise your products on our site, contact us via the feedback form and we will negotiate an advertising contract with you/your company.
    3. Providing affilate tagged links to products or services is not allowed.
    10. Don't post your email address to the forums! Spambots love dumb forum users who post their email addresses to public sites and grab those addresses and you will soon discover the wonders of penis enlargement kits and other really useful products posted daily to your inbox.

14. lenkeng

lenkeng Guest

vga to hdmi is possible thanks to our lkv350 vga to hdmi video converter

15. mjf01234

mjf01234 Member

I'm trying to connect a pc to a 32" JVC HDTV. The pc has an NVidia 7300LE video card and i'm connecting it from the DVI on the card to a HDMI port on the TV. I want the resolution to be 1024 x 768 but whenever I set the resolution past 720 the signal gets converted to 1080i and the screen flickers. The only refresh rate available to choose from is 60hz. Can someone tell me how to get the resolution i want w/o the flicker.

16. Nivek4986

Nivek4986 Member

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 that has an S-Video and VGA output. I am trying to hook up my notebook to my HDTV with a high enough resoultion to be able to read the text. Using S-video works, but it looks horrible. I just bought a VGA to RBG cable hopping that will work. I don't care if it is not true HD, I just want to be able to ready everything on the screen. I will keep you updated if it works. I really hope it does.

17. kirky155

kirky155 Member

18. razza365

razza365 Guest

hi i have just bought a sharp xr1s projector and i an going to get a hd dvd/ freeview player it has a hdmi out on the player and i wanted to play hd freeview though my hd projector but the problem is i dnt have a hdmi plug on the back of the projector i have 15 Pin D-Sub VGA, 4 Pin - Mini DIN (S-Video), Composite Video and i dnt know what it all means hehe but what im trying to say is how wouild i connect everything and still get hd freeview on my screen or is it not possible please speak to me in english and dnt give me jargon thank you ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

19. jlburrel

jlburrel Member

I'm having a similar problem except I don't need HD quality, just looking for a clear picture. I have a laptop with only vga and my hdtv only supports s-video, composite, component, and hdmi. I received my vga to component cable in the mail today and tried it. I've had no success yet with this cable. What could be the problem?

20. Dystopia

Dystopia Member

k in regards to hdmi to rgb it does not work in this scenario: i connected my pc to my receiver with a dvi to hdmi cord. connected receiver to monitor with hdmi to dvi cord and used a dvi to rgb adapter to use rgb input. did not work. the digital signal will not convert to analog is my guess. fortunately for me while messing with this i found out how to fix the overscan on my monitor's hdmi.