1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA to HDMI possible?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by xalaros, Feb 28, 2006.

1. aforker

aforker Member

Not necessary. You don't need a DVI converter, just use the VGA to HDMI converter listed on the website below. The website includes a video walk through for how to transfer analog to digital and how to transfer audio.

http://www.vgatohdmicable.com

2. Lette

Lette Member

VGA and Stereo Audio to HDMI Converter.
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio...a-hdmi-vga-to-hdmi-converter/prodVGAHDMI.html

3. tre17

tre17 Member

Does anyone know how to connect my laptop (vga output only) to my tv (dvi input only) using an vga - dvi cable? When i plug it in nothing happens on the laptop besides it asking me if I want to use different monitors etc. Then after nothing happens despite if I want different monitors? Any advice?

4. aarowsmith

aarowsmith Member

Analog can be infinitely better than a Digital signal, since a digital signal is based on it's own limited digital resolution, and always will hit it's own Digital brickwall because of technology.

Analog in theory is infinite in resolution if you can translate a pure Analog signal correctly. It does take expensive electronic gear to do it right. Why do you think they still use quality Analog equipment for Film, TV and Audio Sound, instead of using digital ? Because of the much higher resolution an Analog signal can achieve. The problem with Analog is that it can have multiple generation loss and noise can build up, and it can have harmonic distortion.

With digital on the other hand, you can get rid of most of the noise, also most of the harmonic distortion. You just don't have the super high resolution original Analog Wave Form represented exactly by the Digital translation process.

Also making multiple Digital copies is much easier than Analog, and can be much less signal loss due to it's own digital copying accuracy. However the Digital signal will not represent the original Analog signal 100%. Digital resolution obviously depends on how good the Analog to Digital conversion is, and of course the back to Analog processing. The higher the Digital Sampling rate or bit rate, the better the results, the better the picture and sound is.

Because Analog does not rely on sampling rates, if the source is direct and pure, then the Analog signal always will be of higher resolution than the Digital signal. And how good that Analog signal is converted electronically makes a huge difference in the end results. So for now, Digital and Analog can be almost as good and compliment each other on mid to high end consumer gear. Digital seems to be getting better and better all the time, who knows when it will be as good as quality Analog Gear ?

Analog is real life, the way your ears hear in reality, or the way your eyes see in real life, but digital is a fake representation of that reality, doing its best to reproduce accurately but falling short due to it hitting it's own Digital brick wall, it's Digital resolution limit of ones and zeros. Until we have no limits in the electronics and the complexity of the A/D to D/A converters, Digital will be limited in resolution.

Digital as well as Analog will always have its limitations to reproduce absolutely accurately due to its lack of electronic accuracy, and it's many errors in the electronic conversion process.

So an Analog wave is a pure infinite resolution wave form, with no Digital stair steps, with no Digital quantization noise shaping and frequency filtering errors. Also Analog can have a much lower and higher frequency response than Digital can, another words a much higher bandwidth resolution. The only true limitations in accuracy are the electronics, picture screen, and audio speakers converting the original Analog signal.

Although Digital has come a long long way now, it is still not as good as the real thing called the original Analog signal. I do not think any device will ever be perfect in reproducing the origiinal signal.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  5. guyguy

guyguy Member

6. GazuliGod

GazuliGod Member

i just bought a vga to hdmi cable, my tv only has one hdmi port and i need that for my xbox, it a pain to keep switching between cables. ive tried vga in the laptop and hdmi in the tv, and hdmi in the laptop and vga in the tv, neither way works, i want to know if this conversion is even possible or if its just the cable i have.

Ive seen these cables on amazon so i assumed their legit and bought one off ebay.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  7. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

8. TobyB126

TobyB126 Member

Hey, u seem to know quite a bit about the connectors from computer to tv....My question is simply, that my computer is older and doesnt have the hdmi output but has the VGA or hddb15 prong....could I take the VGA hddb16 prong and then use the hdmi end to connect to the TV?? I am young and just starting a living with a gf of mine and cable isnt a priority but the computer to tv seems to be the best alternative, let me know perhaps with an email back thank you so much for your help

9. FrankyJs

FrankyJs Member

I know this thread is crazy old, but i happened upon it from google. The most recent posts still seem to have some confusion about VGA to HDMI and things like that, so Im posting this to try and help.

As some people have already stated, VGA is analog and HDMI is digital. This means that you cannot use a simple VGA to HDMI cable to connect the two. For some reason there are some companies producing such a cable, but it really doesnt work.

This doesnt mean, however, that you cannot connect from VGA to HDMI. All it means is that you need a VGA to HDMI signal converter. This converter will take the analog VGA signal and convert it to the digital HDMI format. Most of these converters also include a scalar that will adjust the resolution to be in one of the resolutions supported by your HDMI display. Most also include an audio signal input in order to put your audio on the HDMI output as well since HDMI carries both video and audio (unlike VGA).

Because its not just a cable it is a little more expensive, but it can still be extremely helpful in certain situations. Quite a few companies sell these things these days like Atlona and Gefen, but a really nice one Ive found that sells them for a much more reasonable price is Sewell Direct. They have an article that talks a little more about this here:
    Vga to hdmi converter

They also show off what they have to get the job done. If any of you still have questions about this sort of thing, I bet these guys could answer them quick enough. I hope this clears this up a bit for anyone else who stumbles across this thread via google like i did.

10. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Converting VGA to HDMI is a waste of time and money. You will see no improvement with the conversion. In fact you may see a degradation in video quality.

Either stick with VGA or upgrade to HDMI.
    Jeff