1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA to HDTV can I get a real answer?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by PChumley, Feb 19, 2010.

1. PChumley

PChumley Member

Alright, I have read all 6 pages dating from 2007 to 2010 on the other thread and I still don't feel like I have gotten my question answered. I've never posted on any forum before, so I'll try to be as clear as possible to what I am asking.

I am running a
    Toshiba Satellite L505 S5993 with an
    Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD

I ONLY HAVE VGA output. I DO NOT have HDMI or S Video or DVI

I own a Panasonic Viera that DOES NOT have VGA input. It does however have HDMI, RCA, S-Video, and Y-Pb-Pr component inputs.

I understand that VGA is analog, and HDMI is encripted digital feed so they don't mix. BUT, they still sell the cables? (and a side note, I was just at a store today and the electronics guy said he is running his computer using VGA to HDMI and it is working perfectly)

ANYWAYS, Does anyone know if my computer can support or display video through a VGA to (Y-Pb-Pr) Cable? If so, is this the best way to go about things? I want the best quality video possible, and for it to fill the screen. Do I need a converter? Basicly I need to know HOW TO DO THIS. I'll try to respond ASAP so please give me your thoughts.

I already know about this VGA converter box but I wanted to see if there were other options or if my computer even needs that converter. I would rather just buy a $10 cable rather than a $160 converter.

Thanks in advance for any help I get from this

2. ugc

ugc Regular member

You have to have a converter box. But I believe you can find a cheaper one that $160.

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

4. PChumley

PChumley Member

Thanks UGC and BigDK,

I have been trying to figure this out for a while now, and I believe I have found the product that is going to work for me. Although I would like to have the video in 1080p, I would not like to spend more than $100. I found a website that sells products that seem to convert the signal of VGA to HDMI. I read all the reviews, and what seems to work best for me is using an SW-9393 which does the scaling and audio for you.

I then did a search on Amazon and found the same product, under a different name for $20 less than the other site. Amazon search

I hope that anyone who is searching for the same solution will find this thread helpful. So here are the end results.

You can convert VGA to HDMI using a converter box.
    720p ($69 to $89)
    1080p ($189 +)

I will be posting a follow up when the product arrives. But by reading all the reviews, I am very optimistic about the results.

5. PChumley

PChumley Member

So I finally found the answer a while back, and I wanted to share it with anyone who is in the same boat that I was in...

For those who only have VGA out on their computer (laptop) and their TV does not have VGA in, but does have HDMI, then there are converter boxes that work very well.

I ordered and actually paid about $75 for mine. It does the up-scale for you. I just plugged it in and it has worked perfectly for me. Also it comes with all the cables you need (accept HDMI cable).

BUT, this converter box only works for tvs that are 720p.

I have
    Model: Panasonic TH-50PX60U
    Description: 50" Plasma Television, Widescreen 16:9 Format
    Resolution: 1366 x 768 (HDTV)

And it works exactly as I wanted it to with this TV. For those who have 1080p and want the FULL HD, you will need to find a converter box that can handle that resolution.

PS - the link I posted in here, says its Component-video-YPbPr, but it also does VGA. Check out the pictures, and read the reviews to confirm. I hope this helps anyone who is looking

6. Bushed

Bushed Member

Sorry if i am missing something here but wouldn't the easiest cheapest solution be to buy a new graphics card with HDMI, as long as you dont require it to play recent games you can pick one up for very cheap.

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If the new graphics card fits with the rest of the system, probably not a bad idea...The adapter however, is about $45 now, and is portable, can be used with a desktop, with a laptop...