1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vga to tv component or hdmi?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by ngouba25, Jul 14, 2009.

1. ngouba25

ngouba25 Member

I have been trying to find a way to connect my laptop to my tv to watch movies. I have heard that you can get a vga to hdmi or vga to rgb cable and that will sent the signal i need without having to buy a pc to tv convertor. Is this true? I dont have a vga input on my tv only hdmi,component, and standard rca. thank for the help.

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

if your laptop only has a vga output then i doubt its going to be able to display in full of even partial HD quality, so why go VGA-HDMI?

-tripplite
    best of luck! post back!

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

tripplite can can correct me if i'm wrong

ok since i can only go by my pc with a installed agp NVIDIA 7600GS tv enabled graphic card & an old crt 29" tv,assuming your graphic card even has tv ability then using a vga to RCA won't work,all you'll get is a black n white picture if any display at all,reason being is the color signal has to be split over the 3 RCA plugs not just run thru the yellow like a ps2 etc,to get a color picture you'd need a s-video connection on the tv,with either 6 or 8 pin s-video on your graphics card,i've tried the split from vga to RCA & it came back black n white & doing a web search found out why i also tried vga to S-Video female then male s-vid to male s-vid & that came back black 'n white as well so not sure if the internal wiring of the plugs was correct "remember i'm talking from an old tv that only has the normal rca plugs ummmm yellow,white & red i think it is" not the green etc

Edit: forgot to mention my agp has the 8 pin s-vid on the back of it as well as the vga & hdmi or whatever that weird other plug thingy is

actually it might be more than 8 pin so just take the amount of pins with a grain of salt..lol..

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  4. sitja

sitja Regular member

ya i have this problem too my philips tv has no vga or s video. so is it not possible to watch laptop through without that big converter?? laptop only has vga port.

5. qwert99

qwert99 Regular member

Well I am 100% sure that VGA-->HDMI adapter won't work, because VGA is analog and HDMI is digital, and the signal won't "fit".

BUT....you MAY be able to use a VGA-->Component cable adapter since both are analog.

By the way, VGA is absolutely capable of outputting 1080p video.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Nup VGA to RCA will return a black n white pic,the card needs a s-vid type connection next to the two monitor outputs if you want colour,it won't work like a gaming console,none of my 7600gs's can out put a color pic until i attach the s-vid cable from vid card to the s-vid on tv

The gigabyte 7600gs comes with an adaptor that has an s-vid input with s-vid & rca output,it still won't produce color if i attach rca's,it only works thru s-vid type connection to get color

EDIT:Just remember i'm talking from the stand point of a normal old crt tv not an hd one so perhaps there might be a color signal split along all three rca wires if not then you'll get a b&w pic,so don't ask me how a console can do it perhaps it's like a frequency thing where more than one color can sit side by side without mixing,kinda like radio stations etc

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  7. qwert99

qwert99 Regular member

I think the reason it only outputs black & white to standard RCA is that an HD component cable sends it's picture information over 3 different cables, rather than just the 1 like for normal RCA.

If you get a VGA to HD component adapter, it may output full color then. However, it won't work unless you use all 3 video signal cables, so you can't do it with a SD TV.

That's what S-video is for, I guess.

So you either need a HDTV and a VGA-->Component adapter, which may or may not work, or you need to buy an external converter box. I think those converter boxes cost between $60-$150.