1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS backup to DVD???

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by unkieron, Jan 6, 2005.

1. unkieron

unkieron Member

Does anyone have a reccomendation as to how to accomplish this task fairly easily??? I have over 600 original VHS movies and would dearly enjoy backing them up to DVD. What about macrovision??? VHS movies that exceed 2 hours (compression), etc. Any help would be welocomed.

2. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

I think I read something about this before. Here's how I think it went, You need S-VIDEO - S-VIDEO cable and ports on your VHS Player and on the PC. Usually Graphics cards have em, or you could buy a s-video converter for the PC then there are a couple of ULEAD programs that you can use to view the VHS from your VHS player to your HDD and from the HDD (depending on which video format) copy it using DVDdecrypter or (my personal favourite) DVD X COPY. If this wasn't clear enough, even though it was a quick read through, then PM and I should have a full detailed method on how to do this. I did this a couple of times like 4 months ago.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You will also need a Macrovision remover box in the video line between the VCR output to the PC input. Macrovision is the copy guard on most VHS movies you buy. The box costs anywhere from $50. to $100. Most capture cards usually have software to do the rest of the job.

Jerry

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Moved.

5. permatex

permatex Regular member

if you are goibg to convert a large number of vhs novies to dvd i would recommend hp dc4000 or dc5000 movie writer from hp.com .these dvd writers come with a complete program for converting vhs to dvd.you will also need a clarifier from facetvideo.com,the clarifier is connected to the video cable to kill copyright proyection.the dcv4000 and 5000. is external dvd writers that connect to the computer by usb,made sure you have a usb 2.0 port.connection is vcr to dvd writer,dvd writer to computer.software and required cable comes with these dvd writers.to date i have converted thirty six vhs movie to dvd without a failure.

6. permatex

permatex Regular member

forgot to mention the dc4000 and 5000 program allow yoy to copy vhs movies up to two and a half hours long.most vhs movies are two hours or less.

7. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

8. permatex

permatex Regular member

the hp pavilion should be able to handle a hp dc4000 or dc5000.check these dvd writer for minimum requirement at hp.com.keep in mind you need a 2.0 usb connection,sufficent hard drive free space and a little more mamory than their minimum.

9. permatex

permatex Regular member

further info on tht hp dc4000 and5000,the program that comes with these dvd writers have a lot of options that can not be found on an internal dvd writer sush as 1. once you set up to record a vhs movie,its hands off,record,decode and burn is automatic as long as you input the length of the movie you are recording 2. when the burn is complete the program will ask if you want to burn another copy 3.you can put two movies on one disk as long as both movies combine time does not exceed two and a half hours 3. the program will save a recorded movie on your hard drive if you select to do so ,if not,you select not to. 4.the progran allow you to print
    a cover sheet for the dvd jewel case with name of movie ect.

10. unkieron

unkieron Member

Have you done any comparisons of clarifiers? There seem to be quite a few of them on the market and I would like to get one where quality of reproduction would be the most important feature. It seems that they all claim to be the best on the market. I remember years ago that they would flicker and fade colors badly. I certainly wouldn't want to get one like that. Thanx in advance...

11. permatex

permatex Regular member

the only clarifier i have used is the one from facetvideo.com.i have not seen any change in the novie quality ,the end product is a dvd with the same quality as a dvd copied using dvdxcopy express.one thing you need to pay attention to is the movie as it is being played by the vcr,a movie being played by the vcr may lose its tracking,have finger prints on the tape may be damaged with wrinkles all of which cause the movie to flicker.whatever happens to the movie being sent from the vcr to the dvd writer will be on the burnt dvd
    note-the novie being played and recorded will be shown on your computer screen as long as it is being recorded so what i do check the movie out on the computer screen from time to time as long as im home,at any point i see something i dont like like jitters i cancel the record and you don't loosae a blank disk.