1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS direct to DVD+R DL, sound playback issues

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by GymRatt, Mar 15, 2007.

1. GymRatt

GymRatt Guest

I have been using Pinnacle 10.7 and the pinnacle USB510 capture card to record some old VHS tapes to DVD. I have recently seen that playback of the DVD+R DL the sound gets off by a second or so. Is this an issue with the record or the playback, i.e. the Player is not handling the DVDR DL correctly? or is it not getting recorded correctly?

Thanks!
    Chris

2. attar

attar Senior member

Are you burning direct to disk or is the video stored on the hard drive.
    If it's on the drive as say and MPEG file can you click on it and see if the sound is in sync.
    If it's in sync before it's burned then you might need to try another authoring program.
    I take it that regular dvd's burn ok with the Pinnacle program.

I have read that DVD Decrypter works for DL disks and perhaps Verbatim for the media..but it was only in relation to the the 'break' between the layers causing problems, not sync problems as such..

3. GymRatt

GymRatt Guest

I have as of this week discovered it is not a burn issue, but a recording issue. It seems that when I record straight to MPG on the HD the sound will eventually get out of sync. It seems to happen on VHS tapes that are over 90 minutes long. So far, I have not found a solution, but have thought about trying different capture software and software that may let me manipulate the sound track to get it back in sync. Otherwise, I guess I will have to live with it, as I don't want the VHS tapes anymore.

4. attar

attar Senior member

If the sync problem is constant, try this program.It has an audio filter adjustment in the 'chaptering' step.

Afterdawn.com/guides/archive/tsunami_mpeg_dvd_author_pro_guide.cfm

If the sync is gradual then it's probably dropping frames and slowly gets worse.Try setting the capture to a lower setting (VCD=VHS) and no multitasking etc.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/capture/droppedframes.htm

good luck.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007