1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS/DVD combo DVD not a readable file by my computer?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by opiate522, Oct 20, 2008.

1. opiate522

opiate522 Member

Hello all,

I am trying to edit a home movie for my fath-in-law, from his sony Hi8. We plugged the Sony into his VHS/DVD combo and burned the movie onto a DVD.

I tried to open the movie, for editing, but it won't open. The drive recognizes the DVD-R, but can't open the movie. I have tried Nero, DVD Shrink, Pinnacle, all to see if I could open it somehow. Is there any program that can open it and convert it so I can use it?

If not...could I use the S-video from his cam to the S-video to my Samsung DV to transfer the movie then down load it?

Thanks all!

2. attar

attar Senior member

I take it that the disk was finalized in the DVD recorder - because the PC can recognize it?.

3. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

DVD R (dash or plus) must be finalized by the source device in order to be recognized in sny other device. DVD RW do not need finalization.

4. opiate522

opiate522 Member

So if I use a DVD RW it'll read it in the computer?

5. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Sorry if I mislead you. I was only referring to the necessity of disc finalization, not which kind to use. You say your drive recognizes the DVD-R. Does it play? Or is it that you just can't open it with editing software?

6. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

What brand is the disc? Cheapies are nothing but trouble.

7. opiate522

opiate522 Member

It's a Maxell DVD-R.

I put it in the drive and the drive starts running but it never prompts me to open the file/movie. If I right-click on the drive and select open, it says it is loading but nothing ever happens. So it recognizes a disc in the drive but I guess not the file type on the disc.

BTW...is that Peshtigo...WI?

8. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

You might try reburning (if you still have the original file) with a better brand blank disc. I use Verbatim because they're not only good but readily available near good old Peshtigo, Wisconsin USA. Burn 16x discs at 6x or 8x. Silly rule of thumb, but hey, it works for me. And again, does it play?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  9. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

If it doesn't play try this: Go to My Computer > right click on the drive letter with the disc > click "explore" to view the contents of the disc. What's on it?

10. opiate522

opiate522 Member

As soon as I right click on the drive, the disc starts spinning and my pointer turns to the loading circle but it never stops loading. I never get the menu to choose explore. It is trying to read it...it knows it's there...but nothing happens.

I tried opening the disc in media player and it won't even recognize that there's a disc in the drive.

It won't play with any program I have. I guess I'll try ro reburn it.

I've been fishing on the mighty Peshtigo. It's a beautiful river...great Northern action.

11. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Good Luck. I'm sure it's a simple step that's lacking.

12. opiate522

opiate522 Member

Never did get it to work. Oh well, I'll try something else.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help, Peshtigo.

13. varnull

varnull Guest

Symptoms relate to a disk which is NOT finalized... That's exactly what they do, as also many -rw disks will unless you go through the motions of closing the session with the recorder..