1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS/DVR Combo Unit VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by kimical, Jan 1, 2011.

1. kimical

kimical Member

I know that on most DVD players there was a way to "reprogram" them to allow all region codes. Is there a way to reprogram a VHS/DVR combo unit to allow copying from VHS and disable macrovision protection? I know there are discussions on here to backup copies of bought VHS to DVD, but it would be so much easier to reprogram the unit instead of buying new equipment (I have only one stand-alone VCR left in my possession, and its quality is only so-so).

If reprogramming is not an option, would it be possible to fool the unit into thinking it's two and placing a scrambler between the signals for this purpose?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Unless the tape part and the DVD part have separate, external, video/audio output/input connectors, you can't.

3. kimical

kimical Member

Thanks, attar. I was afraid of that. I guess there is no hope of reprogramming, either?

4. attar

attar Senior member

No reprogramming that I know of.
    The Macrovision is in the video signal on the tape - but note that not all commercial tapes have protection.
    The only ones that I found were Disney tapes and Total Recall.

5. kimical

kimical Member

Just for reference, I am mostly referring to older BBC videos I bought in the early 90s before I had a DVD player, and they are either not available on DVD at all, or are only in PAL format, which wouldn't help a bit. :/