1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS LP Playback Problem

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by rwolfe, Jun 21, 2010.

1. rwolfe

rwolfe Member

Hello all,
    Checked/searched forums for similar issues but didn't find any. If I missed it I apologize in advance for asking a same question.

I have returned to a project started years ago to transfer VHS to PC to DVD. I literally have hundreds of VHS tapes & had transferred a few dozen perhaps 4 or 5 years ago.

I use the following hardware/software in the process:
    - Canopus ACEVDio PC bus card
    - Nero Vision 4 as included in Nero 7

I now have enough spare time to begin to convert some tapes again & have run into a problem with almost all the movies I had recorded in "LP" speed.

All my original VHS tapes recorded in LP speed used either a Panasonic 4 head HI FI Stereo deck or later tapes used both a Panasonic & JVC 4 head Hi Fi deck.

That was years ago & since then both the Panasonic & JVC decks died & were discarded.

I am now trying to playback many of these tapes & have tested the tapes using each of the following VHS decks:

-- Sharp VC H810 4 head HI Fi deck
    -- Sharp VC H960 4 head Hi Fi deck
    -- Sony SL V N500 4 head Hi Fi deck

The problem I am having is with a large majority of the movies recorded on the original Panasonic and/or JVC at LP speed only.

When I play the tape through the Canopus there are white "noise" (sync?) bars on both sides of the picture.

The white bars do not appear on any tape recorded in either SLP or SP speed, only LP.

I was able to playback a few of the final tapes I recorded at LP speed on the Sharp decks and the ones I checked seem to playback perfectly with no white noise bars!

No amount of manual tracking adjustments removes the white vertical bars on the sides of my older recorded tapes.

I have experimented with Nero Vision using the MPEG-2 Capture Template adjustments for Size, Frame Rate, Sample Format & even Video Quality. I have also tested using Nero Vision: DVD, DV & AVI capture templates.

Nothing I have tried removes the white noise bars on both sides of the picture. If I record and save segments of video the white bars are there with every software I play back the file with like Windows Media & Nero Showtime.

To see if it was my ACEDVio and/or Nero Vision problem, I purchsed the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD product and saw the same white bars using that product too.

To further baffle me, when any of these tapes are played back through any of the VCRs on my HDTVs, the white bars are not there!

If anyone else on this forum has run into a similar compatibility problem with the LP playback speed between VCR brands and was able to fix the problem, please let me know what you had to do to correct the problem & create nice clean video captures.

Thanks!

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Provide a screen shot showing the problem.
    Do these lines appear in the capture preview ?

3. rwolfe

rwolfe Member

Hi Dave,
    Yes, white bars, what I believe to be sync info, appear in the Capture screen & again once the data is processed. I did make an error in my original posting. I don't believe that any of the VCR decks that I am currently using will even support LP speed record mode. They all only support EP & SP record mode but will playback LP tapes...unfortunately with the white bars on my capture devices. My best guess these many many years later is that the tapes giving me current LP playback problem were all recorded on Panasonic VCR decks.

Also for reference, my PC is all up to date as far as video drivers, Nero updates, etc. Since the problem is appearing on both my Canopus board and the Roxio USB hardware that I tried, I am pretty much convinced it is an issue with how my current VCRs handle the LP speed playback function.

Again, if there is some method of adjusting the Frame Rate, Size of the 4:3 ratio, etc., to try & get rid of the white bars, I sure haven't hit it right yet. I am just trying to get rid of the white vertical bars on both sides of the screen.

Here's a screenshot from one of the captures:

4. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Now I see what you mean - the noise bars far left and right.
    I don't think you'll get rid of them, they pop-up often during VHS capture.

Shouldn't be a problem though - Crop them out after the capture is done.
    Firts capture to an intermediate format (DV, huffyUV or Lagarith),
    then crop while re-encoding to your final destination (mpeg-2, etc,etc).