1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS Rip - Remove AUDIO Noise

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by kenny782, Nov 25, 2009.

1. kenny782

kenny782 Member

I ripped two VHS tapes last night.
    Video looks better than I expected, audio is in sync.

Only problem is the background noise, I would describe it as white noise.
    It's always there but you can of course hear it when nothing else going on. Such as the opening or closing credits when nothing else is playing.

I can't find any information about any filter in or for virtualdub.

I've run dozens of searched on google and all I come up with are information for video noise.

Thanks,

Kenny

2. attar

attar Senior member

You can demux the video and audio using PgcDemux.
    Load the audio into Audacity and process the file.
    Save the new file and use Muxman to mux the new audio and the demuxed video.

http://www.podtopia.net/gettingstarted/removenoise.shtml

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/audio_tools/audacity.cfm

When you run Audacity, click Edit > Preferences > Libraries and either 'Locate' (if the files are already installed in your system) or download them.
    Next load/drag the audio (probably AC3) into Audacity.

3. kenny782

kenny782 Member

cool I'll try that tomorrow.. or tonight if I wake up after dinner lol

4. fez1122

fez1122 Member

It could just be a loose wire or a the level on your microphone input being too high or on when it shouldn't be.

5. F4ntastic

F4ntastic Member

kenny782:
    what HW are you using to rip the tapes?
    are you trying to copy a copy-protected tape by chance? ;)
    have you tried capturing another signal (from a DVD player, video camera, xbox, etc.) & seeing if the noise is there.

i use Dazzle Platinum USB2 device to capture video+audio. Older version has problems with audio hiss, an update to the sw fixed the problem.

6. scum101

scum101 Guest

Good info.. I noticed that with the old version as well.. we cured it by using a real onboard capture card (some hauppage thing) The audio being from tape was still a little hissy.. sometimes it works wonders to have a play with the vcr sound/sync head azimuth.. but care and skill needed for that, plus knowing what you are doing, otherwise you can royally screw everything up..

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

It's been a while since i've watched a vhs video tape can't even remember the sound quality,however i can remember audio cassettes & the hiss they gave off,there was usually a dolby noise reduction button that would soften it quite a fair bit,kinda acted like a noise filter perhaps that's what you need when transferring from vhs is some sort of filter