1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS Tapes to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by eddieb, Oct 27, 2003.

1. scotty47

scotty47 Member

Thanks again for your help Minion, I have to go out tonight but will set everything up tommorow...................scotty

2. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

Can I improve (PAL)VCD quality by changing bitrates in my encoder? I use Vegas, but I do have other encoders (TMPGEnc)

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

No You can never Improove quality through compression...all compression will reduce quality no matter what Bitrate is being used...

4. ChrisMike

ChrisMike Member

Hey guys,
    Why can't I just use my winTv PVR 250 ( which has an on board encoder) to capture from VCR and then to edditor like Video Re Do
    or
    Use DV camera (with S-video)with pass-through technology?

Am I wrong?

Cheers,
    Chris

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

No one said you couldn"t do that???

6. ChrisMike

ChrisMike Member

It just seemed so much info and complications to capture from analog,
    for a minute I thought I missed something since my research from last year, reboot(Jim) put me on a simple track and still going strong.

WinTv 250PVR, edit with Video Re Do or..., burn, and you are home free.

Cheers to all,
    Chris

7. xmaswish

xmaswish Member

Hi just wondering if anybody can help?.

I capture my vhs to my computer as an AVI file using video compression codec HUFFYUV and the audio compression is PCM, Everything comes out fine the file is huge but when i put it through TMPGEnc DVD Source creator i shrink the file down, It splits in two i now have a video file m2v and a sound file wav, Using TMPGEnc DVD Author i insert these files and they are converted to VIDEO TS FILES, I then use software NERO to rip these files to DVD video. My problem is that after doing this the DVD i have just made doesn't play very well on any of my DVD players, In my area we use PAL - I make the DVD in PAL, The DVD does play but certain chapters pause skip or do not move on, But the quality is SUPERB.

But if i capture like i did before and shrink the file down using DIVX in NERO VISION EXPRESS the quality is reduced alot, Instead of making the VIDEO TS files with TMPGEnc i use NERO VISION EXPRESS after the video is made and ripped to DVD it plays fine in my DVD players no problems only the quality isn't as good as when i use TMPGEnc but it plays this time.

So can anybody please suggest any ideas as to how i get superb quality from VHS TO DVD as im winning one way and losing another with both my methods.

THANKYOU.

8. xmaswish

xmaswish Member

Sorry id just like to ad i use RITEK DVD DISCS and also these DVDs i make with TMPGEnc that do not play well on my DVD players including my PS2 play perfect on my PC with windows media player no jumps pauses or stops.

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Jumps and Pauses or freezeing video is allmost allways because you are Burning your DVD"s at too High of a speed...

you should allways Burn Movie DVD"s at the Lowest speed Possible because Movie DVD"s have no Error Correction Data and High Speed Burning will allways cause More errors than Low speed Burning does.....

You Will know this is the problem if the DVD plays Fine on your PC but Skipps and jumps on your DVD Player.....

I burn all of my DVD"s at 2x speed even with 16X disks and I never have this problem anymore but i sure wasted a lot of DVD"s when I first started out.....

Cheers

10. xmaswish

xmaswish Member

Yes i normally burn my discs at 8X, Because when i first got my DVD RW drive installed burning at a low speed used to crash but i've tried since and it doesn't crash but i only tried it with data on dvds, Thankyou Minion so much for this information this will make a big difference your a great help.

11. gslrider

gslrider Member

Hi all, apologies for having to ask this question. Which I'm sure has been touched upon. But posts (which are quite a number of and couldn't look through all of them) I've read are from people using a PC. I am on a Mac system. Don't know whether the answers would make any difference. But I would greatly appreciate any input on my questions:

I'm just wondering which would be the best way to transfer VHS to DVD? Or the easiest. I know sometimes the easiest isn't always the best way.

1. Convert analog video (VHS) to DV using your VCR connected to a DV converter (ie. ADS Pyro AV Link), edit in Final Cut Pro, use iDVD or DVD Studio Pro to make a DVD (with menus)?

or

2. Use a DVD/VCR recorder combo, or connect a VCR to a standalone DVD recorder, record DVD. Rip DVD onto computer, convert to MPEG, edit MPEG in Final Cut Pro, use iDVD or DVD Studio Pro to make a DVD (with menus)?
    And using this method, how much video can you record on a single layer DVD-R before the picture quality starts to look pretty crappy, what speed setting should it be set at?

And of the two, which would produce a better picture quality?

Or is there another way other than the two mentioned above?

Thanks again in advance for your input.

12. samintx

samintx Regular member

I think if you will look thru the treads Canopus is the best way to transfer. There are some other similar vehicles you will find along with the discussion of Canopus but I personally have used this. I don't find it that satisfactory, however.

If it is family movies I would just buy a standalone recorder and hook it up to your VCR player. Fastest and best IMO.

13. gslrider

gslrider Member

Why is Canopus so popular? Is the picture quality good when captured? Better than one from a DVD recorder? I have old tapes with tv shows recorded, and some movies.

One of the things I'd like to do is have the chapter selection on the dvd. So I will have to edit it. But my main concern is picture quality. But if picture quality would be the same for either method, then which one would be the simplest way to go about capturing from VHS so that I can edit it on my computer.

14. samintx

samintx Regular member

I've done them all and you will much better quality from a dedicated recorder hooked up to vcr or combo recorder than with canopus or any channel like that. I've been there....

The price is equal for either and you get more good from the Toshiba or Sony recorder than a 300.00 canopus.

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

I have also done them all and I got Much better quality useing the canopus advc-100 with a High quality mpeg encoder and filters than with a DVD recorder,But you can"t beat the Convenience of a DVD recorder .....

Cheers

16. Gulval

Gulval Member

Hey Watcher.
    I am getting terribly confused reading all the info on transferring VHS to DVD through the computer - and have come to the conclusion that it is way above my technical skills. Therefore I will transfer my VHS tapes to DVD the EASY and uncomplicated way. i.e using a stand alone DVD recorder. I would be grateful if you could explain the "macrovision removing cable or device".
    Could you please just "walk" me through the steps to get my VHS tapes onto DVD via the DVD recorder.
    Thanks .....

17. tuvver

tuvver Member

I've recently bought a Tevion DVD maker with PVR software. Software installed, hardware plugged in, run PVR then click on video capture, all I get is the message "Interface not supported". Any ideas out there?????

18. xmaswish

xmaswish Member

Hi just wondered if anybody can help.
    My problem is i capture through Nero Vision Express from my VHS tape i use the lossless codec HUFFYUV and compress the sound with PCM now my problem is i get dropped frames with HUFFYUV not alot normally in 20,000 frames i get 150 dropped frames, I then encode my Huge file with TMPGEnc DVD SOURCE leaving me with an M2V and WAV file and put them through TMPGEnc DVD AUTHOR leaving VIDEO TS files which i burn at a speed of 4X in NERO BURNING ROM this is the minimum speed i can burn at using my SONY DVD-RW DRIVE and my RITEK DVD's, Maybe 150 dropped frames isn't bad i dont know but when the dvd is made the picture is perfect and so is the sound words lined up with the mouths there isn't any pauses,stops or anything like i had when i was burning at 8X so thats solved. The problem is the places where i had the captured dropped frames plays that part of the DVD in slow motion almost with the sound at a normal speed this doesn't last long and only happens in the place i get the dropped frames when capturing, I've tried recapturing the same footage but it occurs in the very same places but alot of these tapes are fairly old so maybe this doesn't help, I heard i could get a codec called PICVIDEO which also is a lossless codec and uses up less space on my PC when captured, Only I can't find this anywhere.
    ANY IDEAS ITS ALITTLE FRUSTRATING BUT NOT THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IN THE WORLD.

19. xmaswish

xmaswish Member

I must add the dropped frames on my dvd play up the same during playback on my pc as they do during playpack on my dvd player.

20. Minion

Minion Senior member

Dropped Frames will Cause the Picture to Not Play Smmothly and will cause the audio to Go out of Sync...If you get the Dropped Frames at the Same Place every time then it is Probably because the VHS Tapes are Damaged in that Area and your Capture Card can not Read those Bad Frames so it Dropps them....

The PicVideo MJpeg Codec is Not a Lossless Codec but it is Pretty Close when on 19 or 20 Quality and will Create Files about half the Size of HuffYUV and it uses very Little CPU but it is Not a Freeware Codec so it Costs Money and I don"t think it will solve your Problem....

You can also Try Captureing Directly to Mpeg-2/DVD Format and see if you get Better results?!..