1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS Tapes to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by eddieb, Oct 27, 2003.

1. scotty47

scotty47 Member

stevedvd, Which DVD recorder did you go with that will overcome the macrovision copy protection. Thanks......................scotty

2. gslrider

gslrider Member

Hey Scotty, there is no DVD Recorder that has a built in override for Macrovision protection. And there probably never will be. DVD recorers will only copy non-commercial or unprotected DVDs. You will need third party software such as Mactheripper to rip your protected DVDs, and remove the Macrovision.

3. scotty47

scotty47 Member

stevedvd, which dvd recorder did you buy

gslrider, Thanks for the reply.

..................scotty

4. stevedvd

stevedvd Member

Sorry for not replying earlier. I use it to transfer non copyrighted material from personal camcorder information. I use DVD re writers for other dubbing and have no need for a capture card.

I havent got many movies on vhs of a commercial nature and the ones that i have are only a few. DVDs are a better medium. I have a camcorder that I got just before digital came into effect and it a very good one and im not in the market for a new camera. I have the capabillities now to tranfer my film to dvd without a hitch.

The DVD recorder is this one:-

http://www.jvcpro-australia.com/JVCPRO/jsp/c_products_details.jsp?catID=5&prodID=297

http://www.jvcpro-australia.com/JVCPROstores/PRODUCTS/297/ATTRFILE_File1/SR-DVM70.pdf

Its a good recorder that works for me.

5. gslrider

gslrider Member

Wow, you went all out on that one Steve. Did it really cost you that much?

I like JVC, I own a number of their products, and I can't complain about any of them. I got the JVC DR-M70 DVD recorder, quality is pretty good at LP mode and excellent at XP. And my DVD player plays pretty much any type of disc format (except for DiVX).

Mind you it would be really nice to have an HDD in the recorder. But I can't complain, I got my recorder for $180CDN. I can't justify spending $600 - $800CDN for a HDD DVD recorder at this time. Hopefully they'll drop down in price (considerably) by next year.

6. pinkish

pinkish Member

Minion, i just bought a DIGISUITE LE MAX card from ebay. i can't wait to get my hands on it and see what it can do.

have you ever worked with any of those? you recommended it to me a while ago for professional VHS-to-DVD conversions!

7. mrgovt

mrgovt Member

Hi Minion,

You have offered excellent advice and I hope you can help me out here. I have just two questions for you.

1. I read somewhere else and you didn't recommend capturing from software such as Pinnacle, if the source is analog. Although I'm capturing from an analog source, it's being converted to digital through my ADVC-300. Should I use something else to capture with? I have been capturing with either Ulead or Pinnacle. I then edit the avi with either those or with sony vegas and use CCE to encode and dvdlab to author/burn.

2. Is the quality of my video decreased when I use either Ulead, Pinnacle, or Sony Vegas to re-render the avi into a new avi after editing/cutting parts out?

Thank you!

8. samintx

samintx Regular member

Referring to 2High2Fly and his "Dazzle" for $30...Dazzle has been around for years but with a not so good reputation for fidelity in the transfer of video.

Does anyone know if this item has improved over the years? or still loses image fidelity in the transfer. I pretty picky about my transfers.

9. Destra

Destra Regular member

To mrgovt:

When editing AVI is recomended (uncompressed) because there is no loss of quality (very marginal loss anyway if any).

10. goochee

goochee Guest

Please help- I have downloaded and saved some old movies (100-250 mb) on my HD from a site and played by windows media player. How can I burn them on CD or DVD and play them using a regular DVD player and TV? Thanks in advance.

11. omahan

omahan Guest