1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to Divx or DVD?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by fallguy26, Jan 14, 2004.

1. fallguy26

fallguy26 Guest

Hi, i use a pinnacle pctv rave to capture my vhs movies.. (or sometimes virtualdub) Problem is when i have done about 5 mins of a movie the filesize is already 4.36gb (i have a 120gb hdd) and my movie is 6 hours long all included...is there a way i can capture at a lower size or something to save space? hope you can help.... (specs recorded at:- vhs to avi, 25fps, cd quality audio 16bit, 356x288 pal)

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well this is because you have not chosen any Compression to capture with so you are Captureing to Uncompressed AVI which uses up Huge amounts of Space...In Virtual Dub under "Compression" choose a Codec to capture to, If you can you should download and install the "HuffYUV" Codec or the "Picvideo Mjpeg Codec" as these will Produce the best quality, you should also capture at a Much higher resolution than 352+288 like 720+576 is the Best resolution for Quality.......

3. fallguy26

fallguy26 Guest

Hi Minion, thanx for the help... ok i downloaded and placed the plugin in the appropriate folder, but when i go to video-format (in vertual dub) and choose 720x576 it says "error 418: unsupported video format)
    what can i do? also i dont know which of the codecs to choose.... i get a choice of yv12,rgb555(16bit),rgb24,yuy2,uyvy and yvu9... please help

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, Those Choises that you put down ,Like "RGB ,YUY2,YV12" Those aren"t Codecs ,Those are Colorspaces that you can choose to capture in not codecs, The best colorspace to capture in would be YUY2 But these are not codecs..The colorspace settings you are talking about should be under the "format" settings, you need to go to the "Compression" settings and choose a Codec, But there is no use unless you have a good Codec installed, so you should install the HuffYUV codec which can be downloaded here :
    http://neuron2.net/www.math.berkeley.edu/benrg/huffyuv-2.1.1.zip
    If you keep getting errors while captureing with V-Dub then it might be a Driver issue cuz V-Dub uses VFW Drivers and Most newer Capture cards use WDM Drivers so there can be problems with some cards, so you might consider useing a WDM Capture Program Like "Virtual-VCR" or "IU_VCR", You can get Virtual VCR here:
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virtualvcr/VirtualVCR-v2.6.9.exe?download
    You also might want to get rid of the Pinnacle Drivers and Install the BTWinCap drivers cuz they will make your Card Compatible with More Capture Programs and will add some extra Features and greatly improove performance..I used these Drivers on my old Tv wonder card which uses the same Decoder Chip as the PCTV rave and it made the Card much much better and used much less resources, You can get these Drivers here but make sure you read all of the instructions before installing them:
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/btwincap/btwdmdrvinstaller5.3.6-1.zip?download
    I"m sure if you do all of these Things you should be up and captureing in no time...Cheers

5. nitrosnow

nitrosnow Member

Please can you help. I am trying to move my old VHS films on to DVD. I copied the VHS to my HD using Giga Pocket TV. This has created enormous MPEG files. I thought I would then Shrink these files using DVDShrink but this only sees IPO file.

Please would you give me step by step instructions on how best to move VHS films to DVD, including any software I may need.

Cheers

6. catdog5

catdog5 Member

Hi, MINION

i need some help, i am new, i was puzzled.
    I saw VHS to AVI, sometimes i saw VHS to DV-AVI.
    theses two AVI vs DV-AVI refer to same thing?

When you convert VHS to AVI compressed/uncompressed
    what is the different or effect?

When you convert VHS to AVI if choose compress,here compress means Encoding?

thanks,

anthony

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

AVI and DV AVI are Both useing the AVI container Format But DV AVI is usually refering to Video Captured From a Digital Video camcorder or from a Analogue Digital Converter..This DV Format is Very efficient at compressing and Produces very High Quality Files But these Files are usually created by Hardware as opposed to a Software Codec, Like on the Camcorder...If you are Useing a Analogue Capture Card then DV Is not the Format you want to use Because Software DV Codecs Need a Very Fast CPU to compress in Real Time and There are Better formats For Compressing Analogue Video Signals and Yes Compression is Like encodeing...When Compressing a Video Signal there will allways be some Loss Of Video Information unless you are useing a Lossless Video codec of which there are Very few then Most Common and probably the Best one for Analogue Capture is Called "HuffYUV" but the File sizes can still be quite large useing this codec Like up to 600mb per minute of Video at full resolution...well I hope this answers some of your questions...Cheers