1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD anyone know how?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Caleb37, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Caleb37

Caleb37 Member

Hello, aftef much debate about dvd to avi or dupping, I am curious to know if anyone can help me figure out how to create .vob, bup, and .ifo files after I have brought vhs video into my computer in raw avi and pcm format? Initially I thought of converting these files to DivX, but then with the Pioneer 104 burner, Win XP Pro, 1.2gig processor, and 512 SDRAM memory with two 80gig ata 100 7200rpm hdd's, I thought maybe I would turn my vhs items into real DVD formats. Any suggestions on this and software requgired?

Caleb

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

I did this recently (took a looong time going through all my VHS tapes). In general, I did the following:

1. Capture the VHS video into AVI format (Canopus DV format in my case).

2. Edit/enhance using Premiere or equivalent editor, save as AVI.

3. Calculate the optimal bitrate (using http://www.vcdhelp.com/BitrateCalc.zip), and Encode the AVI to MPEG2 using either TMPEGEnc or CCE.

4. Author using DVDit or Scenarist.

5. Burn to DVD-R using PrimoDVD.

Many other good tools to do the same job, but these have become my standard tools.

You may want to bump-up the processor speed if your tape collection is large. My PC didn't get turned off for months during this exercise. Capture/edit by day, encoding by night.

Rgds,
    jnihil.