1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD copy problem

Discussion in 'DVD-VCR combos' started by chazkap, Dec 3, 2008.

1. chazkap

chazkap Member

I bought a copy of a movie at a bargain store and want to copy it to DVD on my VHS/DVD Panasonic. It is copyrighted and won't let me copy it. The movie is not available on DVD and I want to perserve it. Anybody know a solution?

2. zambi

zambi Member

If the VHS tape has Macrovision protection you have to use
    a Timebase Corrector (e.g. Datavideo TBC-1000) to get rid
    of the distortion. But you need to feed the signal in/out
    of this box so you cannot use DVD/VCR combo box to copy.

3. MikeAdams

MikeAdams Guest

Chaz. I highly recommend the Digital Video Stabilizer by Qualitek. It's one of the very best and lowest cost Macrovision removal devices available. I have this particular model and it works superbly on all my combo recorders.

Of greatest importance, it's one of the few devices which removes both CGMS-A (analog) and CGMS-D (digital) types I, II and III Macrovision copyguard encoding from the output video signal.

Once attached, it enables you to perform any kind of transfer you like without restrictions or prohibitions of any kind:

• DVD to VHS
    • VHS to DVD
    • DVD to DVD

Important! When performing DVD to VHS transfers (and vice-versa) using only your combo recorder and the Macrovision removal device, it's essential you DON'T use the one-touch transfer button!

Using the one-touch transfer button causes all connections between the DVD and VCR decks to be made internally by the unit, which doesn't permit any way to remove the unwanted Macrovision copyguard encoding.

In order to accomplish our objective, it's necessary to pass the crippled video signal outside of the unit, where the removal device is attached and can then perform its job.

Once the Macrovision copyguard removal device is correctly attached to the back of the unit, simply use the combo recorder as though it's a separate DVD and VCR unit. Meaning, press the PLAY button on the source deck and then RECORD on the target deck.

Performing a DVD to DVD transfer requires the use of an external DVD player. In this configuration, attach the source DVD player to the target combo recorder, using the Macrovision removal device to make the necessary video connection between the two. Then establish the L+R audio connections simply using the usual RCA audio cables.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2008
  4. chazkap

chazkap Member

Thank you for your help. I'll get working on it.

5. MikeAdams

MikeAdams Guest

Chaz. You're quite welcome. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions or need further assistance.

You're also welcome to contact me directly by email for the quickest possible response, if so inclined. Just supply your email address by Afterdawn PM and I'll reply right back with the answers to your questions.

When you have time let us know how you made out, particularly should you discover any tips or tricks which help make the transfer process go easier on your specific model Panasonic combo recorder.

Good luck with getting all your VHS tapes finally transferred to DVD once you've acquired the necessary add-on required to get the job done. Afterall, this was one of the main considerations why the majority of us purchased a combo recorder in the first place, which the manufacturers clearly recognized and took unconscionable advantage of.

6. dougga22

dougga22 Member

I have the same problem with some questions. Mike I just sent you a PM, hope you don't mind. I have a Toshiba combo and get the copyright messages as well.

My main question is..Do I have put the vhs in the combo, send it through the stablizer and then back into the combo or does it have to go to another external vcr and then back to the combo somehow.

Sorry for being such a dunce about this but thanks for any help.
    doug

7. MikeAdams

MikeAdams Guest

(temporary PM notification message deleted)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2008
  8. pinibiron

pinibiron Guest

I bought a Combo recorder (VHS/DVD). When I copy VHS to DVD +R it is going through the motions. It will playback only on the machine that created it and no on my computer. However, Properties show that the DVD is full (The circle is BLUE) but zero bytes in either field!
    Doing the same process with DVD +RW has no issues. Does anyone know if the formating is bad or what is the reason for the -R issue??

9. MikeAdams

MikeAdams Guest

Pinibiron. Did you finalize the disc after completing the recording? If not, it'll only play back on the unit it was recorded on, meaning the combo recorder. If you have any further questions please begin by mentioning what make and model combo you have.

The User Manual explains about finalization and how to initiate it once the recording's done. If you don't have one it can easily be downloaded from the internet in PDF file format. This is partly why I wanted to know the unit's make and model number.

Were you aware most DVD recorders and combos have an option in their SETUP menu under the RECORDING section, which if activated will automatically finalize the discs for you?

DVD+RW discs don't need to be finalized except under very rare circumstances, which is one of their many advantages. But all other types do including DVD-RW, DVD-R and DVD+R. The only other exception to this rule being "DVD-RAM" discs.

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Snippet from the Forum Rules re PM abuse -

11. pinibiron

pinibiron Guest

12. pinibiron

pinibiron Guest

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your efforts!

Yes, at the end of each copying (VHS --->>DVD) when I push the eject button, the disk is finalized. I think that my computer CD/DVD-ROM simply can read only the DVD +RW format and not the DVD +R/-R formats. The question is - since I have now plenty of copied DVD -R disks and can not play them on my PC (Insperion 530 with 2G RAM, XP Pro, and huge HD) is there any way to ractify this situation?
    BTW - The combo unit is SONY RDR-VX535. The CD/DVD door says: video/R/RW and DVD +RW.

I hope this info HELPS in resolving my issue

Thanx again

Pini

13. MikeAdams

MikeAdams Guest

"Hi Mike. Thank you for your efforts!" - Pini
    You're very welcome! - Mike Adams

Pini. When you end a recording by pressing the STOP or EJECT button the unit will always spend a minute or two writing some indexing information to the disc's Table of Contents (TOC) area. But this shouldn't be confused with the finalization process!

Finalization needs to be initiated manually unless you've set it to automatic mode within the SETUP menu as mentioned previously. We'll get into that once you've mastered how to manually finalize the discs.

In all honesty, I still have serious doubt as to whether the discs you've created have been properly finalized. Based on what you've explained they're all clearly exhibiting the classic symptom of what occurs when finalization hasn't been done.

Finalizing a disc on your Sony RDR-VX535 <---click here to learn how

I'll tackle any of your remaining questions if this doesn't finally resolve the problem you were having with all of the DVD-R discs you previously recorded. But it's my full expectation once they've been properly finalized your problem will be completely resolved, in all respects.

The moment you finalize each of the discs you'll be able to play them in any other DVD drive including the one in your computer.

Also, if you need the User Manual for your unit I've provided the download link below.

Sony RDR-VX535 User Manual (PDF 3.67mb) <---click here to begin immediate download

Good luck and please let us know how you make out. Don't give up until you've learned whatever the solution is you're presently lacking. In all probability, you're only 1 yard away from crossing the finish-line but don't realize it yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2008
  14. pinibiron

pinibiron Guest

Mike,

Bingo!!!

Finalizing was the issue. I guess I suffer from the same desease that most men do - NOT READING MANUALS. It was all there and I was able to finalize all the -R so they were saved and plqy on my PC!!!
    So I have to believe these Disks will play on other DVD recorders.

Thank you again for your help, kind words, and encouragment.

Pini

15. MikeAdams

MikeAdams Guest

Alright Pini WTG! You're very welcome. I'm really delighted you finally got everything squared-away. Enjoy using your Sony combo recorder now that you've got it all figured-out and working nicely. Thanks for having taken the time to let me know of the successful outcome and share your joy.

16. forestm33

forestm33 Member

sorry I know I've asked a similar question on another thread but this case is a bit different since it deals with Macrovision protection. But would one be able to preserve their protected VHS movie by running the signal into a TV tuner card and record directly onto their PC? Scrambled or not you at some point have access to the clean video signal I would think. Or am I wrong?

17. varnull

varnull Guest

Macrovision isn't really that clever by modern standards. Every variant is slightly different (I think there were eventually 5 systems worldwide). It works by wobbling the field or line sync pulses which the tv (by the magic of flywheel synchronisation and other clever things to make off air broadcasts in colour watchable) just ignores. VCR's didn't like this as either rf or video input.. but we did usually totally strip it bu running it through the rf out and a different decoder before recording on another tape.

That tells me instead of asking what you should do is try it.. plug the RF output of your vcr into the aerial input of your tv tuner card and see what happens... out other trick from the mists of time to feed say 20 recorders (hazy info now.. rent and rip on a vast scale once upon) was to feed the rf output into a tv which have an av out which was active when used on tuner input...

Otherwise even using capture hardware/software it all seems to recognise macrovision... you will need one of those little boxes.

18. tumadre0

tumadre0 Member

OK guys...so can anyone recommend a copy-protection box that'll work on most types of copy protection for around $30? And I'm talking recommend from personal experience, as in you OWN one and it WORKS on your tapes. In my particular situation, I'm using a RDR-VX535 to convert from old tapes to DVDs and using a computer to pull the copy-protect flag from the signal. The models I've seen on the Interwebs so far:

Qualitek Digital Video Stabilizer - read somewhere it makes the image show up in black and white. $30
    http://www.qualitekindustries.com/bvistfordvda.html

SIMA - no idea, found it in Google. $60
    http://www.welectronics.com/dvd/pioneer/SIMA.ASP

Digital Video Stabilizer - shady website, don't know about this one. $35
    http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer/

GREX - Heard nothing but good things about this one but $90 is pretty steep. $90
    http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

So...any recommendations?

19. fungamer

fungamer Member

After reading through all the posts, here and in different sections. I settled on the Digital Video Stabilizer -http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer/

They use paypal and I have never had any problems with paypal, so that seemed like it would be ok. I just ordered it, so I am hoping it gets here soon.

Like you, I was hoping to get some input on which one would be best and how well the order process worked and whether or not you could trust them, but I didn't hear from anybody so am not sure if it was because it was going back to older posts or what.

20. fungamer

fungamer Member

Just thought I would post this. I was recording my MASH collection and 7 were copyright protected out of 75 total tapes. And I was looking for something to correct this issue. I did a lot of research here in this forum, looking for answers. Had been hoping to hear from someone who had ran across this same problem. But I did not hear from anybody so I checked out what was previously listed and decided to pick one to go with. I really liked the grex, but for being new at this, the 90 bucks was a little to steep at this point, so picked a cheaper model.
    I just received my digital video stablizer. It is doing what I want to do. So far I am very happy with it. I have ran a few tapes through it and then I unhooked it and yep, it is a definite need. I had ordered it on Sunday night and after seeing some of the stuff here had called on Tuesday and they assured me that everything was processed and I should have gotten an email, but I had not. But the email was then sent and then the unit arrived today (wednesday). The unit is exactly as pictured, had the yellow ended cable, and so far does not get warm. So to me I think it was a pretty good deal. The one I ordered is Digital Video Stabilizer -http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer/
    As far as I can tell, the website is on the up and up. No problems at this point.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009