1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD copy problem

Discussion in 'DVD-VCR combos' started by chazkap, Dec 3, 2008.

1. tumadre0

tumadre0 Member

Great! How is the picture quality on the processed end? Is it displayed well with no deterioration? Also, what are you using to dub the tape? Like is it a DVD recorder or just another VCR?

2. fungamer

fungamer Member

The picture quality seems as good as how the tape originally plays. So if there is a little flaw it will probably pick it up. What I am using is Sony's DV direct and a sony VCR. I think with the tapes, it is just something to expect. I did catch a MASH on regular TV, and if you look hard enough, its not a real pristine picture either, looks like how mine are playing. So for me, I am happy with it.
    One thing I do notice is that having a VHS and a DVD, a DVD is definetly a lot cleaner.
    I chose this route because the video tapes are starting to get brittle and all of that because of age. The set cost me a lot of money about 20 years ago, and to replace it, would cost even more. So, I decided to record them on DVD myself. I grew up with 3 channels you had to change yourself, so if there is a little flaw that doesn't disrupt to much, that's ok. I am sure if I had a more expensive VCR that would get rid of the noise and all of that, I could probably get an HD like picture.
    One rule that always seems to come back when your trying to duplicate video, audio, photos, and etc. It is only going to come out as good as what the original looks like.

3. tumadre0

tumadre0 Member

Just wanted to add that I got mine and it works great...but only for VHS tapes. Which is why I bought it in the first place, so there's no problem there. It doesn't knock out the copy-protection signal that's generated on-the-fly (by DVD players and other digital media systems), but does stabilize the picture coming from the VCR enough that the DVD recorder is OK with recording it. I got mine fairly quickly in the mail, no problems as far as that goes. Although the site looks shady, go for it if you have the same issue I did.

4. GerryH2u

GerryH2u Member

tumadre0,

The #1 device in (your) list is one of the best - and reasonable - according to Mike Adams.

http://www.qualitekindustries.com/bvistfordvda.html

And if Mike Adams says its good - then by darned you can bet its good!

The guy is a bloody genius on these machines, (in particular the Mag-vox MWR-20V6) - and to boot, he can write in clear,understandable English!!! "Hello again 2U Mike Adams".

An additional note: Having had to return to these old haunts; I [still] find some unanswered crys for oem Magnavox user manuals?

If you need - I have one -(in .PDF)- on my PC for the MVR-20V6 Magnavox <(((only))). Send me a PM or scout and i'd be glad to zap you a copy. [If I should get swamped with requests i'll just post a link here on AfterDawn for all interested], if its Ok.

Gerry H.