1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD copy problems, macrovision?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by delafoo, Aug 18, 2005.

1. delafoo

delafoo Guest

I just go the Turtle Beach Advantage USB 2.0 to make a backup of the Standard Deviants Organic Chemistry series, as I'm sick of hitting pause, rewinding, hitting play... Digital pausing is much faster and will save me alot of study time.

So... I installed the Turtle beach software, CyberLink PowerDirector, and it records really well, but after 5 minutes, it stops and says,"Copyrighted VHS, recording has stopped".

I tried using alternate programs, Intervideo's WinDVR3 and WinDVD Creator 2, which didn't record any audio!

Are there any software programs or other options that can take off the copy protection for my backups?

Thanks to any and all who reply, your time is appreciated!

~bB

2. madmouse

madmouse Guest

i've had similar probs...the only package I found works well & removes macrovision is WinDVD Recorder

3. delafoo

delafoo Guest

I downloaded the trial version of this program, winDVD Recorder, and I get a 'failed to record' error?

Any suggestions of fixes or other programs?'

Thanks to all who reply'!

BB

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Macrovision is an Analogue Copy Protection so a Software Program Can not Remove it because By the Time the Signal hit"s the Software it is allready Scrambled from the Copy protection and in Digital Form...

You can Buy a "Video Stabilizer" for about $25 that will Remoove Macrovision.....

Cheers

PS: Macrovision Does NOT effect the Audio as only the Video is Copy Protected so if you can capture the Video in say WinDVR 3.0 but not the audio then it is Not because of Macrovsion but Probably because you haven"t set up the Program and/or windows to Record from the Input you are useing on your Sound Card....

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  5. madmouse

madmouse Guest

i'm well aware of macrovision problems, but all I suggested was windvd recorder 5 does copy protected VHS tapes so i've got to disagree, i've linked in through a cheap TV card I picked up off EBAY and fed the vhs signal in via composite and copied many many protected video's i've got onto dvd WITHOUT the purchase of any further equipment

6. oracle

oracle Member

Hey, just a moment!
    I have a silly question.
    If you lead out from your vcr audio and video to an analog to digital convertor how the amalog protection can deal with it? In this case even the normal vcr' s would able to play correctly those tapes. I think that here you have a confusion concerning the analog scrambling of tv transmissions. In the last case you 're forced to use an analog decoder for synchronize the audio and/or the video streams.
    Personally I connect my vcr' s video output and audio (Composite or rca) to my capture card for video and sound adapter for audio with no problem.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
  7. madmouse

madmouse Guest

Exactly! thats the point i'm trying to make, done this for over 6mnths now backing up all my old vhs tapes (as i've now dumped vcr player and have a dvd recorder/player) and so far i've 100% sucess rate, yeah sure I agree with macrovision removal but in this case connected to a tv card either composite or s video it's NOT needed

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well it could be that your Card doesn"t have Macrovision Detection, Not all cards Do, with the Ones that do you need something to remove the Macrovision but if your Card doesn"t detect the Macrovision then you won"t need one....

9. madmouse

madmouse Guest

Hmm figure this then....If I use the software that came with my AVERTV card to transfer vhs to dvd it's refused straight away stating i'm trying to copy protected material....but when I shut the software diwn and use WinDVDRecorder instead no problems no macrovision nothing stopping me...perfect vhs to dvd copies EVERY time

10. jolo

jolo Member

A few years ago, I purchased a box from Best Buy to "enhance" the signal from my VCR to my graphics card. It cost only about $25.00. It also as I found out, took care of Macrovision.

I cannot find the card and what I saw at the store was like $79 to over $100.

Are their some less expensive hardware boxes outthere to help make this work?

I do not know if anyone does this, but I find that if I run a video tape all of the way to the end, then rewind it, it tends to be more reliable. It can be very frustrating with a analog tape, that needs to run all of the way through and a little "belch" can mess things up.

Also, most of the capturing software is not the greatest and anything that can be done through hardware will be more consistent.

Like most transfering of information from one medium to another, the key is the quality of the source. I found that this was WAY more of a factor for a smooth conversion than the capturing software I was using and there are a ton of them.

I want to make things simple and just get that box to go in between, then connect to my ATI 9600XP AIW card and go. I also find that it is better to be "less" ambitious with the format/quality of the digital file you will end up with. I have found that "VCD" like settings on the digital end is pretty forgiving and about what the video tape is meant for anyway.

Any recomendations of a reasonably priced box that is a "video tape booster or enhancer" would be greatly appreciated.

11. oracle

oracle Member

I'm not sure if s/w applications care about macrovision or any other type of !@#$%^&*.
    Just in case, if you want to fool around the maters then consider buing a tv box and lead the signals (audio and video) to your capture devices. It will cost you about € 60 or $80.

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can Get a Basic Video Stabilizer for copying Just VHS Tapes that should works Quite well....I used the Same Type of Device back in the late eighties and early Nineties for Copying Retail VHS Tapes......You can get one For probably less that $25...

Cheers

13. oddessy

oddessy Member

14. jolo

jolo Member

[bold]Thanks oddessy[bold]

I happen to be in my local CompUSA yesterday ans saw that myself. There was one left and I did not get it.

I still found it too expensive. The purchase price is really $69.99. If there is a manufacturers reabate, fine, but I like to look at those as a seperate issue and a potential deal with the Manufacturer and the buyer.

For me, the price of an item is the price that you have to pay the store for them to either ship the item or walk out of the store with. The rebate is something totally outside of the transaction with a retail store and a buyer.[/img].

I know that this is outside the topic, but rebates are a retailers scam with the public. I never can understand why people just accept this rebate stuff and not complain to their local district attorneys about it. It is getting more and more flagrant where a online store will post a price for an item, and the buyer is not aware of the "ripoff rebate" until the click to select it for purchase. Naturally the rebate stuff is in small print and a pain in the but.
    Over 90 percent of rebates do not get fulfilled either because the buyer doesn't send them in or the vendor doesn't send back the money.
    Sometimes, even if fulfilled, it can take months. Mu son received had to wait three months, then four months for a $30 rebate. He receive a $20 check after three months, then a $10 check a month later.

Compare that to manufacturers coupons at a supermarket where the store takes the responsibility of sending them back to the vendor and the price of an item is truly reduced at point the point of sale.

I tend to never purchase items with a rebate included.

Sorry for the "consumer report" rebate. I believe there is one store that is doing something smart, but not smart enough. At Staples stores, when yoou pay for an item, they will automatically get the information and mail in the rebate for you. That is excellent.

But if a store had some real savvy, they would do like the Supermarket does and discount the customer at the point of sale and the retail store waits for the money, just like it done with supermarket coupons.

Jon

15. delafoo

delafoo Guest

Oddessey... thanks... I will give that a try if my Aver TV card doesn't work.

JOLO:...

Well... I'm not sure about the rebate Schpill... I've had good luck with all rebates... IN fact...

I just bout and AVerMedia DVD EZMakerPCI card (its on its way) from jr.com for 24.99, with a 25.00 rebate from the manufacturer, meaning my total out of pocket price will be about $3 !!!

When my card arrives, I'll let all ya'll know if it works, and if not, I'll still let you know and if the other CompUSA device works!

Thanks for everyone's responses... you all rock!

~bB

16. jolo

jolo Member

[bold] delafoo, thank you for posting your opinion and sharing about the boxes that help in video tape backups [/bold]

I am glad you have had good luck with rebates, but I can't help to feel that fundementally they are a terrible trend. Before rebates, items were simply on sale and there was one price for the consumer and it was what they walked out with. If you notice there are less and less pure sales and price reductions. I still don't know why the burden should ever be on the consumer. Surely at minimum, it could be an asy click on the Internet and an immediate deposit in your checking account, credit card credit or instant store gift certificate.

The point is about rebates is that they make the consumer hassle and have to enter all sorts of detail, maybe make a copy of what they send in, call in to find out where the rebate is, etc.
    In the meantime, the real drivers in the Rebate in lieu of sales and price reductions are the retail stores. For them, [bold] They wind up selling products at full retail price no matter what. They are thrilled. For the manufacturers, they are able to give the consumer a "psychological feeling of a price reduction", yet if they do pay off on the rebate, that is a ton of money that they can save and earn interest on for the next business quarter. Then if a detail is wrong, aha, the keep the money. There are lots of companies who are under the investigation by the Feds for many top companies and retail stores being involved with rebate scams. [/bold]

If you are interested, here are some interesting articles about rebates.

Pretty good article from AARP magazine.
    http://www.aarp.org/bulletin/yourmoney/a2004-04-22-long_rebate.html

This is from a investors site: http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2003/commentary030410JF.htm

Thanks,

Jon
    Sorry one more thing ON TOPIC, I have some information about alternatives to the overpriced, popular and sometimes faulty expensive boxes that people are using successfully.

17. oddessy

oddessy Member

jolo:...

I agree with you all the way on the rebate scam. Why is it that it takes rebate months to receive them? I did build a computer and bought all the parts at Tiger Direct. I was reading on the internet how people were not getting their rebates after buying from TG, even after 6 months. I went ahead and purchased the computer anyway after I talked to the manager there at the store. He told me if you don't get them in the mail by a certain time, let them know.
    After painsakingly filling out about 6 of the rebates and making copies of them I did get all of the rebates back in a 3 months period. I finally got all of the check in the mail ($150). Right now TG will gaurantee their rebate promotions but it is a pain in the butt to spend hours putting them all together and sending them out.

It is well put, why can't the store takes the responsibility of sending them back to the vendor and the price of an item is truly reduced at point the point of sale.

I try to avoid the rebate altogether but sometimes it seems we have no choice when we can get a deal.

18. n0v0n

n0v0n Guest

See my replies to Appa and others on the same subject

19. delafoo

delafoo Guest

"n0v0n (Newbie) 28. August 2005 @ 09:11
    See my replies to Appa and others on the same subject"

Are you referring to you post about ADS' DVD Xpress?

I actually had this for about a week... I'm not sure if it was my PC or what (1.7 GHZ processor, 690 MB RAM, 160 GB free), but every video I tried to record would have a skip in the volume at 5 second intervals (though I had no problems with Macrovision)... which is why I switched to the turtle beach advantage... which unlike the ADS is giving me copyright problems.

That makes me think though... I think I'll try my Turtle Beach with the ULEAD software and see what happens....

Thanks!

20. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you won"t have Macrovision Problems with the "ADS DVD Express" or any ADS Capture Device because it doesn"t have Built in Macrovision Detection, it is one of the Few Companies that doesn"t have Macrovision detection in it"s Capture devices....

I suggest you Invest a Few Bucks and Get a Cheapo Video Stabilizer to remove the Macrovision.....