1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD copy problems, macrovision?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by delafoo, Aug 18, 2005.

1. delafoo

delafoo Guest

Any suggestions? Does ADS make a video stabilizer? I'm going to try a TV Card as suggested in the posts above, but in the event it doesn't work, an alternative would be nice. I tried their DVD XPRESS but had sound problems with a skip every 5 seconds in volume.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. n0v0n

n0v0n Guest

Ehemm Ehemm
    I´m not trying to undermine the advice of others.
    I am expressing what is working for me.
    ADS VIDEO XPRESS removes the MACROVISION.
    It will also stabilize the picture for you ``a little´´ not all.
    I converted the movie NET and CLUB PARADISE.
    iT WORKED!!!
    Removed the lock (MACROVISION).

n0v0n
    every rule as an exception

3. n0v0n

n0v0n Guest

My next step is to look into a DIGITAL BASE CORRECTOR.
    This apparatus will remove the lines left from the analog/digital convertion chapter.
    I still don´t really know how it will work, but I am researching.

n0v0n
    every rule has an exception...

4. delafoo

delafoo Guest

HELP!!!

So, I've gotten my AverMedia DVD EZMaker PCI card today... I've put it in per the instructions, and I get a "USB Video Device detected" prompt... which is normal... and then I get, Find Hardware for VideoAdvantage.... Which is NOT what I'm trying to install drivers for.

So, I made sure that my Turtle Beach USB 2.0 program was deleted, and the file is gone from my Program file, and I rebooted, and I get the same thing!

It seems, for some reason, that my PC is recognizing this as the VideoAdvantage, when it should be recognizing the Aver card instead.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of my PC recognizing the deleted VideoAdvantage, and to recognize my AverCard correctly? Your time and responses are greatly appreciated!

~bb

Thanks

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I suggest that you Do a Search through your Registry and delete any Mention of your Old Device (Video Advantage) and then Try installing the Card...Also make sure that you have deleted any files left on your PC from the Instalation of your Other Capture device....

Good Luck

6. oracle

oracle Member

I think that the problem has to do with the capturing device, the tv card in our case. I suppose that if somebody uses an analog video capturing card will have no problems, but unfortunately this costs...
    I cannot think other solutions.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  7. delafoo

delafoo Guest

Well... I'm pretty sure that an intermediate stabilizer between my VCR and my Turtle Beach Video Advantage USB 2.0 will do the trick. Since my PC's detecting my AverTV card as Turtle beach for some reason (even after a registry search to delete turtle beach).

I was impressed with Turtle Beach's quality over the ADS DVDXpress, so I looked up "video stabilizer" on e-bay, and luckily, there's plenty to be found for around $20 as compared to some of the other suggestions for other stabilizers that cost double or more.

So, I'll be uninstalling the avercard, and I'll post again to let ya'll know if the video stabilizer was the key.

Thanks all for your help.

Bb

8. n0v0n

n0v0n Guest

I´m using DVD XPRESS and never had any problems. some people may say that it is crap, but I desagree.
    I did not buy Haupgage or any other of those other devices because after a ``long`` while you choose to stick with products that worked with you before and continue working today.
    I build my own computers and fix computers. When I build a computer the ``only´´ motherboard I use is ABIT.
    In my opinion ASUS sucks and all the others too.
    In another forum I mentioned ULEAD that comes with DVD XPRESS and one of the senior members came unglued saying that it was crap. However, a member bought a device with ULEAD and suddenly ULEAD became a ``respectable´´ product. Give me a break.
    Everything is trial and error.
    So, to make the story short...
    Do your research, check out the manufacturer website...
    To start go to CNET website and check their product reviews.
    Any problems with other issues... go to...
    DOWNLOAD.COM
    VIDEO HELP.COM
    There´s lots of info in all these sites.
    Yes and I prefer NERO over ROXIO.
    AOL, GOOGLE and YAHOO do not enter my computer...I use COPERNIC as a search engine.
    I also use AMD over INTEL.
    enough for now.

9. delafoo

delafoo Guest

Yes. DVDXpress does work well, and does remove macrovision. But for some reason, on my PC (Intel Celeron 1.7GHZ, 690 MB DDRSDRAM, 350 GB HD), the video would have a 'skip' in the sound about every 5 seconds, which the turtle beach did not.

I suspect it may have been my capture settings.

~BB

10. n0v0n

n0v0n Guest

It probably has do do with the settings.
    I think (not sure) that it has to be around 48Mhz or something.
    Don´t quote on that, please.
    Go to the manual and read the instructions, it right in there somewhere.

Good luck

n0v0n
    every rule has an exception

11. oracle

oracle Member

On a second read I noticed )If I understood dorrectly) that you use a combo vcr/dvd. If this is the case then this is also your problem. If the dvd in your combo can capture from a third source this is your solution. If not then you are forced to use a pc with an analog/digital convertor (such as pinnacle dc-10+ for example).

12. edmartin5

edmartin5 Member

On 29 Aug 2005 delafoo wrote:

So, I've gotten my AverMedia DVD EZMaker PCI card today... I've put it in per the instructions, and I get a "USB Video Device detected" prompt... which is normal... and then I get, Find Hardware for VideoAdvantage.... Which is NOT what I'm trying to install drivers for.

So, I made sure that my Turtle Beach USB 2.0 program was deleted, and the file is gone from my Program file, and I rebooted, and I get the same thing!

It seems, for some reason, that my PC is recognizing this as the VideoAdvantage, when it should be recognizing the Aver card instead.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of my PC recognizing the deleted VideoAdvantage, and to recognize my AverCard correctly? Your time and responses are greatly appreciated!

~bb

I had a simular problem when adding a new video card. The answer is to let Windows install what it wants, then use device manager to update drivers for the device and point it to the folder with the correct drivers, this will fix your problem. (Windows may be slow untill this is done, though)

13. delafoo

delafoo Guest

I'll give that a try.

14. n0v0n

n0v0n Guest

Did you try to go thru START > CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM HARDWARE > DEVICE MANAGER > DISPLAY ADAPTERS OR SOUND, VIDEO + GAME CONTROLLERS?

Find the device, click on it to remove it.

Than try re-installing the new one.

n0v0n
    every rule has an exception...

15. delafoo

delafoo Guest

Yes. I did remove the Turtle Beach from the System Hardware Drivers, and also the registry. I suspect there's a registry entry under a different name than Turtle Beach or Video Advantage...

So, I'll try the other suggestion to just load whatever software Windows asks for, and then try to directly install it from the Sytem hardware menu.

Thanks!

~bb

16. permatex

permatex Regular member

i agree with minion,the uninstall program that comes with most prograns always seem to leave some part of the program on the computer when you uninstall or remove.what is left behind can cause conflicts with similar programs you install.

17. xolx

xolx Member

18. delafoo

delafoo Guest

Well... sometimes one can be stupid, in this case, me.

Though I consider myself an above average pc user, I was just stupid with this problem.

It appears as though I did not need the Aver Card (luckily I got my refund, so I'm only out $3), nor did I need the video stabilizer which will be returned...

The Turtle Beach VideoAdvantage USB 2.0 does indeed work with InterVideo WinDVD Recorder 5... provided that the user puts in the correct information like "Composite" for the audio and video source and select the correct output format! WOO HOO this will cut my study time greatly (the pausing, rewinding, and playing that I constantly have to do on the VHS')!

I did note however that almose every other Input program I used, Ulead, Video Director, Power Director, ADS DVDXpress, and others would have periodic sound skips. I assume because the WinDVD Recorder lets me select such a lower quality recording format, and has a feature to have "aggressive memory ussage", this doesn't happen.

So, it was all in the settings (of WinDVD Recorder 5).

So thanks to all who have replied and offered help, it is greatly appreciated.

Lastly, one final question... I'm running around 690MB of free RAM, on a Celeron 1.7 GHZ processor with about 250GB free on my hard drive... any reasons for the periodic skipping??? I'm assuming it's because of the USB 2.0 connection. I'm thinking about getting a Hauppage TV card since my Aver Card read as the Turtle Beach and I really never got to use it.

Anyone have experiences with both USB and Video card capture devices notice any difference in capture quality?

Your comments are welcome,

Thanks to all,

Bb