1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD equipment advice

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by ucanfly2, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ucanfly2

ucanfly2 Member

Hi guys,

I read some of the posts relating how to convert VHS tapes to DVD but figured I would start my own thread instead of hijacking somebody else's to ask my own question(s).

I would like to convert some VHS tapes to DVD by preferably using my existing DVD burner in my PC.

Using an existing VHS player I am going to feed the signal in to my PC routing it through a TBC-1000 Single Channel TBC to avoid possible copy-protection, is that correct?

The signal coming from the VHS player will have to be fed in to the PC via a TV card, correct?
    Any recommendation for a good TV card?

Thanks all for your advice!

Hans
    PS: If I'm wrong with the above it would be great if someone could guide me through what I need to get the job done.

2. ucanfly2

ucanfly2 Member

Thanks for all the replies so far...lol

Anyway the way I understand I need to hook up everything is:

VHS VCR > Signal Clarifier > PC Video Card > PC DVD Burner

Right?

Thanks again, Hans

3. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

I use a Hauppauge PVR-150 capture card. This card will bypass Macrovision so no need for a Video Stabilizer.

It's harware compression card and captures to mpeg2. Load your mpeg2 file into authoring software and burn a DVD from there.

4. ucanfly2

ucanfly2 Member

moonrocks,

Which model would suit my purpose best?

So many to choose from: www.hauppauge.com/pages/prods_pvr.html

Thanks, Hans

5. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

6. videoboi

videoboi Member

I have a question as well moonrocks. What program do you use for the capture and for the DVD authoring? Can you use Sony Vegas Studios (the cheaper less professional programs) for the needed actions?

7. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

The Hauppauge PVR-150 comes with it's own capturing software, WinTV2000. You don't have to use that software with the PVR-150 card if you don't want to.

Some people use other software, like GB-PVR, to capture with the PVR-150. That's fine too. But, I've never had a problem capturing with Hauppauge's WinTV2000 software. It works OK for me.

As for authoring, you can use any authoring software you like. Once you have the mpeg2 file then it's up to you what you want to do with it.

8. Chroma45

Chroma45 Regular member

Although this true the TBC-1000 does more than just remove copy protection. Also the great thing about these full frame TBCs is that they retain their value very well. I use the ATI AIW capture card which is very good because you can capture in many different formats and resolutions. The best combination would be a JVC 9000 series VCR -> Datavideo TBC-1000 -> ATI AIW capture card.

9. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

@Chroma45

I think external TBC's are great. The original poster, ucanfly2, was thinking he needed a TBC specifically to avoid copy protection. Which, of course, you don't.

The PVR-150 also captures to lots of different formats and resolutions, just like the ATI All-in-Wonder.

PVR-150 vs. ATI AIW (both with or both without) an external TBC, I don't think one is a clear winner at all. Both are great cards.

10. MarkDogg1

MarkDogg1 Member

all u need is a video stablizer got one for 20 bucks so easy 2 do without a pc

11. Chroma45

Chroma45 Regular member

I did state that it isn't just for copy protection removal. Full frame TBCs are going to do a better job than a macrovision remover and can be used for just normal transfers also. Anyway the ATI AIWs are great capture and video game cards; the software though could be better.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  12. mairambia

mairambia Guest

13. ucanfly2

ucanfly2 Member

@mairambia - where would be the fun of doing that?