1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD (Help!)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by uncleb, Jan 19, 2004.

1. uncleb

uncleb Guest

Dear Friends,

I would like to transform family VHS & 8mm tapes to DVD. Some of these babies are 13 to 14 years old. I’d like to do it using my computer, but need to know exactly what I need to do it. I’ve been to a few places (like Best Buy) and talked to a few people about what I needed. All have been helpful, but unlike you guys, they might have ulterior motives. That’s why I’m enlisting your help. Internal card, external USB, editing software? I don’t know. Finances are important (cause I ain’t got much to spend), but so is the quality, cause like I said these are priceless family heirlooms. The materials that you recommend need to be easy to figure out and operate (cause I ain’t no rocket scientist). If it helps, looking at my systems properties it says that I have a AMD Anthlon™ XP 1800+ (processor), 256 megs of RAM, I use Windows 98SE, and have about 30 gigs available on my Hard Drive, a 3D fx Voodoo Banshee Display Driver, and I don’t know what else. Anything you can tell me will be appreciated. Thanks in advance you guys (and gals) have been most helpful in the past.

God Bless

Uncle Bob

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

check out the video capturing from analog sources forum: http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/79 it will be what you want most.

you need:
    1. an analog to digital conversion device. usually an external box that will accept component video in and will input via the computer via usb2 or firewire.

2. software to edit and render and burn the videos onto the dvd. I have used mgi videowave(now roxio) and pinnacle studio 8 and prefer studio 8. I got studio 8 at circuit city with rebates for $20. Pinnacle sells a firewire pci card, analog/digital conversion box, and software in a package for $200, but i'm sure you can find it on the net for cheaper.
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.asp?Product_ID=1172&Langue_ID=7
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-144-017&depa=0 for $165

your computer hardware will work, it might be slow but you will probably want more ram.

i would recommend the sony, pioneer, or plextor dual format drives.

3. IanMervyn

IanMervyn Guest

I was recommended a unit called "Dazzle" this is an external interface and it only works with Win 98, I do not know the source, but Google might.

4. IanMervyn

IanMervyn Guest

Update to last message - Dazzle is marketed by Pinnacle, visit their website for full details of products.

Have fun

5. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

6. pluey

pluey Member

7. tr7

tr7 Member

I have been converting my VHS tapes to DVD for over a year now. The process is quite simple. You need a video capture card of some sort. They can be purchased for as low as $46 from Newegg.com. You connect your vcr or camcorder to the video card and input the data onto your computer. I use WinDVD Recorder for this purpose. That's all you need to do. WinDVD Recorder will record your video onto the computer and then you will be able to burn it to dvd in vcd, scvd or full dvd formats. Any of these formats will play on most desktop dvd players. You can download WinDVD Recorder from their website and try it for 30 days.

8. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

9. grovesej

grovesej Guest

uncleb

Here is what I use (and what you will need) to convert VHS tapes to DVD.

I prefer a VHS Video Recorder that has S-Video out.

From that I go into (using S-Video) a Canopus ADVC-100 Analog to Digital Converter. You can check it out at:

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/advc-100/pm_advc-100.asp

On the Canopus site they want $299.00 for the ADVC-100 however; I found it for $254.00 (free shipping) at:

http://www.shopharmony.com/product.asp?file=PWH&i=CNPADVC100

You will also need a PCI Firewire Card which you can find at:

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_comp_digitaloriginfirewire.html

For a bit less than $10.00 I then use Sonic MyDVD to Capture and Author the DVD material then write the authored material to a DVD using Nero 6. Good Luck!

10. grovesej

grovesej Guest

uncleb

In my previous reply I neglected to mention a couple of important things.

From my Super VHS VCR I use right and left audio out and S-Video out to the inputs on the Canopus ADVC-100 A/D Converter then use a firewire cable to go from the Canopus to my PCI firewire card.

Also, I use Sonic MyDVD because I like it simple interface. There are lots of other programs out there so that could be the subject for another question to the group.

11. TonyTele

TonyTele Member

I'm also trying to burn my old video's to dvd.
    My only problem is the file size of the mpeg (1.33GB for 36 minutes of film) and the size of the video_TS folder (2.5 GB for 36 minutes).
    Should i convert the mpeg with xvid or something like that before i convert the mpeg to a Video_TS dir.

BTW
    I'm using TMPEnc to convert the mpg to an m2v, and then i use TMPEnc director to create an Video_TS dir.

12. knb

knb Member

grovesej, does the Canopus ADVC-100 A/D Converter transfer a good quality picture and audio onto your computer?

13. farmj

farmj Guest

Question for Tr7 20 Jan 04.

I downloaded the WinDVD program as you suggest and it did a great job of recording to HD. However, you mention that WinDVD will record to a blank disk. Can't seem to find out how to do it with WINDVD. Did you use a separate burn program. Any response from members on this problem would be appreciated. Thanks

14. Jam116

Jam116 Member

I have a stand alone recorder and hooked my vcr up to it and burned away.
    There is one video that does not have sound and I would like to add background music to it...Any thoughts

15. ReaSer

ReaSer Guest

panasonic or phillips has one that will auto do it its a stand alone vhs to dvdr

16. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Jam, I would just hook the output from your audio source (CD player for example) into the input of the DVD recorder.

Once again, to add my 2¢ to the original question, I swear by my stand alone DVD recorder. It was a little more money, but the results are worth it. I wasn't satisfied with the quality of a video capture card, or the USB capture devices.

17. Jam116

Jam116 Member

Duh!. I do not know why I did not think of that one...I guess sometimes we overlook the obvious

18. doobies

doobies Guest

Does any one know the setting I should use when encoding and recording to maintain a good picture quality. I'm using tmpge dvd source creator to convert to the dvd format then authoring it with tmpge dvd author. I tried this method and it worked, but when I tried the dvd, the quality was poor and the dvd picture not sound frooze five minutes into the movie. ANy suggestions on the resolution and bitrate i should use? thanks.

19. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

Hey uncleb,
    You didn't mention whether you already have a DVD burner or not, (another needed purchase) but I'm assuming you don't.
    Check out this dual-deck 'stand-alone' unit at:

http://www.govideo.com/Index.asp?GV=VR3930

As others have mentioned, this option might be the easiest way for you to go. Inputs for your 8mm or digital camcorder too, and.... records TV shows to DVD to boot! Editing will limited to start and stop times tho.

Hope this helps and let us know how you make out. ;)

As a footnote... I also have family and other tapes I want to convert to DVD. My computer already has all the hardware/software needed to do the job, but I'm still thinking of going the standalone route myself. One touch recording...it won't get much easier than that. Plus, I love buying new toys anyway. ;)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]P4 2.6GHz 512ram
    140GB HD,
    Sony DVD-RW DW-U14A
    JLMS DVD-Rom
    SiS 64MB AGP Video
    WinXP home SP-1[/small]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  20. michigan

michigan Guest

I use an internal capture card and Nero 6, it is a pretty straight forward thing to do with Nero 6. Just a quick say so it takes a long time (mine take about 3 hours to convert) to convert but the burn is pretty quick (3 minutes). I usually set one up at night and leave it, in the morning it's all set.