1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD: is this possible?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by panic_jam, Aug 19, 2004.

1. panic_jam

panic_jam Member

I want to convert my VHS tapes to DVD. I have a digital camcorder (Samsung SCD23) and all of the software for burning DVD's on my computer. Is it possible to connect my VCR to my Digital camcorder and record a VHS tape onto my camcorder... then capture it on my computer? I have connections for S-Video and analog routers on both my VCR and camcorder.

Just wanted to ask before I tried it and messed up something. Thanks

2. turkey

turkey Regular member

sure it is possible. you are already set in terms of getting video from the VCR to the camera. however, you need a firewire card in your computer to recieve digital input from the camcorder. it doesn't hurt to have a decent size hard drive with good performance... what are your computer specs??

here is a link to an easy little software tool for captureing good DV video.
    http://windv.mourek.cz/

3. panic_jam

panic_jam Member

I can already capture video from my camcorder... so I'm assuming that I already have a card. I'll try it out and see how it goes... but I typically don't have the best relationship with technology, LOL.

Thanks for your help.

4. turkey

turkey Regular member

right, i just misread your question...

looks like you have everything you need, good luck.

5. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

Panic_Jam:

If your Samsung has analog video in, it should have also come with a cable for it. Hook that up to your VCR (Don't forget the audio) and you should be fine. I do it all the time with my Sony Digital camcorder.

I use Ulead VideoStudio to capture and when I hit <RECORD> in it, it automatically turns the Camcorder <Play> on. I just hit <STOP> on the camcorder itself and the video plays through diretly from the VCR to the computer over firewire. No need to record to digital tape first (which is good, since my tapes only hold 1 hour).

Hope this helps.

bob

6. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

Will the video quality from the camara equal that of the Canopus ACEDVIO or the ADVC-100?

7. panic_jam

panic_jam Member

thank you for your help. I'll try to get this thing going. thanks again.

8. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

Beats Me. Depends upon the specs of each--which I don't have. To me the decision is one of cost: I have the camera and so I don't buy the Canopus.

I'm not into squeezing top quality out of videos as some are. I watch broadcast video and am happy with it. I record that onto VHS and then record *that* onto DVD. I'm still happy with it.

If it's maximum quality you want, get one of the JVC digital VHS recorders that will take a VHS tape and convert it to firewire internally, cutting out the middle man--or record directly to digital. You can get them for under $800 on the Internet.

bob

9. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

I have backed up many VHS tapes to DVD's. I purchased numerous items and programs including capture devices and software and spent a lot of my time but had very poor results so I got fed up, said to hell with it and bought a DVD recorder. Now life is good. The money I spent on all the other stuff would have more than paid for the recorder. Oh well live and learn.
    HW.