1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD+R

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by jetcargo, Oct 31, 2003.

1. jetcargo

jetcargo Member

I understand how to capture from my All In Wonder 8500 DV card to the hard drive, but the files always seem to turn out 5.0 GB+ from a VHS 90 min tape. (MPEG2) This will not fit onto a DVD. I have My Studio Deluxe 5.0, but can't seem to get it to compress it down to fit. I have successfully saved DivX files to DVD and gotten them to play on my stand alone Player. Should I use some software to convert Mpg to DivX, then use my authoring software to burn to Disc? If so, what would I use to convert to DivX?

Thanks in advance

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

OK...You can"t burn DivX to DVD and have it play on your DVD Player so just get rid of that Idea...I actually just sold my "All In Wonder 8500DV" but when I had it I had a Very good Method for Backing up VHS To DVD-R...The Program I used to capture was called "WinDVR 3.0" and I would set up My own Capture Templat in it useing the Genaric Mpeg2 setting and setting up the Capture Bitrate to 20,000kbs and 720+480 resolution and capture to AC3 audio at 192kbs...After captureing the Movie I had a Pristene Quality Mpeg2 file with Dolby digital Audio but the File size will be about 20gb, so after Demuxing the AC3 audio what you do is use a Good Quality Mpeg encoder Like Tmpgenc or CCE to encode this File to DVD Mpeg2 But at a Lower Bitrate, Low enough so that it fits on a DVD-R...If you want a Better explanation of how this is done and were to get the software then e-mail me or message me with your e-mail and I"ll try to help you out...this method takes longer but it produces very good Quality....Cheers