1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD recorder combos. Are they worth buying?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by diabolos, Nov 29, 2004.

1. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It seems that DVD is here to stay and that VHS is on it way out completelly. This kinda of shift creates a market for products like VHS to DVD recorders. I know that it takes allot of hard work to create DVDs you can be proud of so I began to wondering if [bold]comercial VHS to DVD combo recorders[/bold] are a good investment and if they have any advantages over a PC and a video capture card? If so, which recorders or brands are the best? Finally, are there any special features that make a recorder better than another?

Thankz for reading,
    Ced

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

3. sweetana6

sweetana6 Guest

I have a problem with the VHS/DVD recorder combo.I bought a VHS/ DVD recorder not so long ago because i wanted to make backup files for some home movies as well as some disney movies.However,I'm not too sure if i made the right investment.Well the salesperson told me it would copy a vhs to dvd and vice versa but that it wouldn't be able to make copies of original movies such as disney movies that have been copyrighted, but he also said that there is a way of doing it. He said that there is a chip in the VHS/ DVD recorder that blocks it from copying original movies and that it may be removed. I was wondering if any1 knows where this chip is and how it can be removed. Or if someone knows of another way of making backup copies of old VHS movies (that are copyrighted) to DVD format or vice versa.

4. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

diabolos,
    I bought a Sansui combo on ebay a few months ago primarily to copy my home videos to DVD. It only cost a couple hundred bucks. I had my home videos backed up in no time. I haven't backed up any of my copy protected vhs movies yet but I have heard you can if you hook up another vcr to the unit and not use the one in the combo unit. If I have a chance to do some experimenting I will post my results later.
    Good Luck,
    HW.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Thanks for your apt reply HW.