1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD resolution and frame rate

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by lkd, Sep 15, 2004.

1. lkd

lkd Member

I know standard DVD resolution is 720x480, but I think older camcorder tapes are 640x480. By capturing at 720x480, won't the image be distorted and stretched?
    Similarly, what should the frame rate capture be? I've set mine for 24 fps; it's the only setting that prevented dropped frames.
    I'm capturing in Premier, even though it may not be the best program for analogue capture. The captured video is fine, but once I render it, every program handles the sound but the video is gone. Anyone know what's up?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Image will Not get distorted, well not any More than if you captured at 640+480 and then re-encoded to 720+480....

You shouldn"t capture at 24fps because that is not the Correct Frame rate for Makeing NTSC DVD"s, you should be captureing at 29.976fps...
    There is No standard that exists that uses Interlaced Video at 24fps and when you render your 24fps project at 29.976fps there will be Artifacts.....

If your System Dropps Frames at 29.976fps then use a different Capture program or use a Good Capture Codec like HuffYUV or the PicVideo Mjpeg Codec..Or you can Just Bypass captureing to AVI and Capture Directly to Mpeg2 which would Bypass the need for rendering in premier and wouldn"t use a Bunch of Drive space but you will need to have a fairly fast PC like at least 2.0ghz....

3. lkd

lkd Member

Thanks...that helped