1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD, specific requests for what software to use

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by quokwok, May 19, 2007.

1. quokwok

quokwok Member

I have an old copy of "Dougal and the Blue Cat" on VHS, and I would like to make a DVD version of it, because we don't want to keep the old VCR in the sitting room, but I would still like to be able to watch it.

I have a Twinhan card which I have been able to use to record to an MPEG file using Cyberlink PowerCinema. However, PowerCinema does not give much control over recording quality - "high quality" comes out at 5GB (too high), but "medium" comes out at 2.5GB (too low). I'd rather have the original file at 4GB so I don't have to further re-encode, reducing quality.

1: Can anyone recommend decent capture software? I have XP Media Center - would allow control over quality of capture? What software is good/best?

2: I then need some software to crop the bottom row of pixels from every frame. Something to do with tracking means that every frame has an extra row of flickery pixels at the bottom, in addition to the picture. I'd like to get rid of this, though I hear that MPEG2 is rather difficult to reencode. Alternatively, since apparently PAL requires a certain frame size, perhaps this flickering line of pixels could be covered up with a black bar. What software could do this?

(I also need to cut the beginning and end from the file. This is simple, but could be done at the same time.)

3: Once I have the finished MPEG2 file, I want to make a DVD with chapters, with a menu (chapter select). What software do I need to do this?

Has anyone else tried this whole procedure - if so, what software do you use? I am particularly interested in cropping or covering up the bottom row of pixels from every frame the MPEG2 file - I haven't been able to find anything free to do it. Free (as in beer) software would be a plus, but is not essential as long as suggestions are widely available. If this is not possible by the method I suggest, perhaps a different method works?

2. attar

attar Senior member

1.no I don't use a capture card.
    If the quality of the mpeg is good, leave it to the editing program in #3 to take care of the rest - you will be erasing it from the HD anyway..
    2.That head noise won't be visible on the TV after the dvd is created.
    3.http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/advanced_tmpgenc_dvd_author_guide.cfm
    This software can edit the the video plus create chapters and menus and optionally burn the disk.

Keep the HD defragmented for capturing.
    Don't multitask else you drop frames and the video goes out of sync.

If the tape has Macrovision protection, your card may refuse to capture it.Then you need an 'image stabilizer' between the VCR and the PC.

3. higgielk

higgielk Guest

4. quokwok

quokwok Member

Thanks for your prompt replies.

1. Attar, you say you don't use a capture card. What do you use?

2. I know the head noise won't be visible on the TV after the dvd is created, but I watch my films on a computer. Does anyone know software that can remove it or cover it up? (This is what I am most interested in.)

3. I will try TMPGenc and Ulead. They both look suitable. Can either do what I described in (2)?

5. attar

attar Senior member

TMPGenc won't remove the noise.

You can remove the noise with VirtualDubMod, however although it can accept an MPEG input, it saves it as AVI, OGM or MKV.

VirtualDub can also capture video as can Nero and others.

I use a Panasonic DVD recorder with input from a tape player.

6. quokwok

quokwok Member

Yes, I was aware of VirtualDubMod, and used it to cover the noise in a previous rip to AVI that I did. But DVD requires MPEG. I don't want to do MPEG to AVI to MPEG, because that would lose quality.

I saw the Panasonic DMR EZ45V DVD/VHS mentioned elsewhere, but I'm not going to buy one. If I have to I'll just live with the noise.

It should be possible to cover the noise. You'd have to re-encode the whole file, but it should be possible to do without losing any quality, because it's just adding a black rectangle to each bitmap frame.

Does anyone know any software that can do this?

7. attar

attar Senior member

I take back what I said about TMPgenc.I was thinking about TMPgenc DVD Author.

Plain 'TMPGenc' has noise filters that can probably do this.
    I think it imports the mpeg then saves them as separate video and audio files.

8. disones4u

disones4u Member

I apologize for being redundant guys,

I have no hardware at all except a stand alone VCR, Computer, External USB DVD Burner.

I want to backup a closet full of old VHS movies that are protected. I've read for hours and feel that I have a moderate grasp on my options but want some specifics if you can.

Option #1 Buy a video stabilizer/clarifier such as DVD RED Pro and a stand alone DVD recorder and connect the clarifier between the VCR and new stand alone recorder. All told about $200.

Q1- Will the entire VHS fit on the DVD without editing when using this "direct to disk" method?

Q-2 How well does this process work...quality, time involved, playability of the disk in other units (format) etc.

Option #2 Buy an external USB capture device (I only have USB) such as the Plextor PX-M402U and go from the VCR to the capture device to the computer. All told about $175.

Q-3 In this option will the USB capture device defeat the Macrovision? I've read conflicting stories. Feel free to list any specific devices that are available today. (I've read some older threads about the Canopus 100 but it is no longer available (and it's not USB)

Q-4 If not can I add the stabilizer mentioned above into the configuration?

Q-5 Is there a reason for "ripping" the VHS to the HD as opposed to option #1? It seems like extra steps.

Feel free to mention product names ( I saw one mentioned above but the link went to a generic home page so I'm not certain what model was used); also remember that my current hardware is very limited as mentioned above but since I do have an external DVD burner I hate to buy another one.

Thanks

9. attar

attar Senior member

#1 I use a Panasonic DMR-ES20 recorder.
    It has 'Flex Recording': a tape (just the movie, not the previews, etc) is 2:45, I set the recording time the same and the video fills the disk.
    This is better than fixed recording times where you may have to settle for 3 hours - now you have space left on the disk that could be used to improve the quality.
    Not all tapes have Macrovision, but I use a stabilizer anyway.
    I always recorded to a DVD-RW so that I could edit the video on the PC without wasting a disk.
    after I copied 200 tapes, I still have a recorder to use daily - unlike a capture card which won't see much action after the initial rush is over.

10. treebone

treebone Member

I plug the VCR into a ADC DVDXpressDX2 it goes into the USB port then edit howerer I want with NER0 ULTRA and then burn to disc. The computer is old 2.8P4 and works just fine. Results are about what you would expect.

11. Shardel

Shardel Guest

Might check out the clearance section of Walmart if there is one in
    your area. They are clearing out ADStechDVDXpressDX2 for $30.
    One thing-the ones on clearance only work with OS up through XP. The
    new ones that work with Vista are not out yet.