1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD stand alone

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by HelpPleas, Sep 14, 2006.

1. HelpPleas

HelpPleas Regular member

Hi,
    Has anyone xfered 3 hours of VHS video to one DVD using stand alone recorder? If so how was quality??

2. jmcole

jmcole Regular member

I have copied a two hour movie onto one disk using my Sanyo DRW-1000. The disc looked just like the tape. I have copied a 4 hour movie using two disks, then joining them with Nero. The quality was the same as the tape.

3. HelpPleas

HelpPleas Regular member

thanks jmcole.

4. peanuts2

peanuts2 Regular member

I have been using a tv tuner card and vhs play to computer and burn with re-author function with dvd shrink.It's kind of different the way I burn.Had to back up all of my friend moms star trek vhs tapes to dvd.I use nero,shrink,and a cheap tv tuner program.Won't touch a stand alone.

5. HelpPleas

HelpPleas Regular member

Have you ever used stand alone peanuts, if not why not.

This may sound stupid, but does the tv tuner card go in the PC.

6. peanuts2

peanuts2 Regular member

I have a panasonic stand alone that I have used for vhs transfers but it will only record 2 hours in standard play.It degrades the image worse than transfering to the computer in my opinion.

7. VADER144

VADER144 Member

Hi guys ,
    I was hoping someone could help me I have a dvd recorder a pansonic. Anyhow my question is this. I recorded some VHS tv episodes onto a recordable dvd that was provided with the unit. However it will only play on my recorder and not on any other player. I've tried to make copies of the dvd but the computer says it blank. Is there any way to extract what I copied on the dvd to another dvd that will play on any other player?
    Thanks

8. collarme

collarme Regular member

If it's a Panasonic it will be recording to DVD-RAM. To transfer RAM files to a PC you have to have a DVD drive that is capable of reading them. Most of the newer drives can. There is another option: the Panasonic can record to DVD-RW too- after you've recorded your program and finalized the disc, your PC drive should have no problem reading it.

9. VADER144

VADER144 Member

HI
    thanks for the advice
    How do I finalized a disc on the panasonic recorder is there an option I have to select to tell the recorder to finalize the disc? Thanks for any prompt response

10. collarme

collarme Regular member

Hi,
    To finalize a DVD-R or DVD-RW go into Disc Management where you'll find an option to finalize the disc. If you've got a DVD-RAM disc inserted you won't be given the option to finalize as DVD-RAM discs can't be- it's only when you have a DVD-R or DVD-RW disc inserted that the Finalize option is available.

11. VADER144

VADER144 Member

Thanks for letting me know
    My other questions that I have is this.
    If I were to make another copy of the dvd with my vhs episodes on it and were to add an episode from another dvd as I'm making a compilation DVD would that be a problem?

thanks for any responses

12. collarme

collarme Regular member

You can make as many different recordings as you like (until the disc is full, anyway) and when you're ready to transfer your recordings to the PC then you finalize it. Your PC will then be able to recognize it as a DVD.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  13. gus738

gus738 Guest

i have a panasonic too , if you dont finalize it no other driver will play it except panasonic....

i too have a goal on transfering vhs movies to dvd, i abosoluly looking for best possible quality , i have the new up converter vhs to dvd combo from panasonic .... i have a tv tuner card and alot of time to try sturff such as pc programs and such....

my goal again best quality from vhs > dvd(s) dvds to single dvd > = without reduced quality...
    and i just came here to post on any ideals?

14. collarme

collarme Regular member

The trick is to get the best transfer possible without making the files too large. The picture you get at the recording stage is what you're stuck with so you're best experimenting with different settings. The Panasonic SP mode will give 2 hours to a DVD and it's a very good picture. Your PC capture card will have diff. quality settings that you'll need to explore - there's always the option of recording in the absolute top setting and then converting to SVCD (half-size DVD) with no discernible loss of quality. I don't think you'll be able to use the Panasonic combo to record commercial tapes to DVD though- the copy-protection system will stop it.

15. gus738

gus738 Guest

oh dont worry i bypassed the analog copy protection aka macrovision . what if i record on panasonic as xp ( ill need 2 disc) then i can burn those 2 disc on to the hard drive can i from there make them both fit into a single disc?

16. collarme

collarme Regular member

You could do that (make sure you use DVD-RW so you're not wasting DVDs), but the gain in quality is going to be minimal- it wouldn't be noticable when the source is VHS. And you would have to run the result through a program like DVD Shrink or WinAVI to be able to fit it on a single disc, so there would be a slight loss there- probably more than any gain you would make using XP rather than SP. Give both ways a try, but I would recommend SP for recording VHS.

17. gus738

gus738 Guest

dvdrs are fine i get them very cheap ... .50c a disc mb less , well this is a up converter ..... soposely it upcoverts quality , so far i'v noticed it on dvds but i havnt watched vhs... the movie that was never made on dvd is called , stone cold , brian bosworth 1991 i belive ....