1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD - Which software & hardware

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by MBPiglet, Oct 25, 2004.

1. MBPiglet

MBPiglet Member

Hello All,
    1st post - Hope it doesnt bore you all.
    Have already posted it incorrectly, so am going well !!

I would like to convert old VHS home movies onto DVD, retaining the same picture quality.

I have a standalone SONY DVD player, so will need to get a DVD- Writer, and software.

I purchased a pioneer 8.4GB writer, before learning about the whole incompatability DVD+/- issues.
    At the same time, I also purchased a converter kit (cant remember the name now), and didnt think that the picture was all that. Have been advised since that a dedicated video capture card will be preferable.

Have now returned everything,and got a refund. However, Nero 6 (which came bundled with the pioneer) is still on my pc, and seems to be pretty much what i want.
    Am now very wary about which player and software to get. Can anyone provide any advice. Any received really would be greatly appreciated.
    The pioneer I bought was the new breed of dual layered players. Have read a couple of bad vibes about them on this website. Anyone think they are a good purchase ?

Like I say, any advice......greatly appreciated.
    Cheers !!

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

There is nothing wrong with dual layer burners. I have one and it presents no problems. They will also burn DVD9 to DVD5 discs and have all formats(-,+,R,RW).

I reccommend Plextor, just came out with one, or if that's too expensive LiteOn has a dual layer burner(look at my system specs) for a very reasonable price.

On players, Philips has a new DVD player out, the DVP 642- that plays all formats including Divx and mpeg. You also can upgrade it's bios with a CD DLing the info from the net and only costs 65.00. It has some other neat featues that i use for DVD testing.

Now, for software, you can use NVE(NeroVisionExpress)which comes with Nero Ultra 6. BTW, a new version of nero, called nero reloaded, is out on the 28th which is free for all owners of Nero 6. It has a new version of NVE 3.

With NVE you can convert your files, create a menu and chapters for your files and burn, all from within that one app.

Hope this helps.

3. MBPiglet

MBPiglet Member

Bioorange,

Many Thanks for reply. Most appreciated.

When you say :
    "have all formats(-,+,R,RW)."

do you mean that they play all formats, or that they can write to all these formats.Or, am i just getting confused.
    I think im right in thinking that DVD Burners can only burn to either DVD+, or DVD- (but not both).
    ?? :)

4. brobear

brobear Guest

MBPiglet
    Right and wrong. Some drives will only burn to - or + and some will do both.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

MBPiglet, you want to get a burner and player that plays and /or burns all formats.

Yes, DVD burners can burn ALL formats as brobear stated, and that's what you want, they are called dual FORMAT, not to be confused with dual LAYER.

Plextor and LiteOn have dual format and dual layer burners.

6. MBPiglet

MBPiglet Member

Thanks for your responses guys.
    Will definately go for a dual format / dual layer. After reading a lot of posts in the last 24 hours (am so glad I found this web-site !! ), Plextor seem to have a very good write up.

Cheers !!!

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

no problem, your welcome :>)

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Ditto.