1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by khatley, Nov 29, 2004.

1. khatley

khatley Guest

Hey guys I am new to this and need some help. My wife has asked me to convert several VHS tapes to DVD and I do not know what software to use. I have already played around with capturing and have successfully captured a few tapes by hooking the vcr up to my All in Wonder card. Now what is the best software for transfering it to DVD? I would like the simplest option for capturing and creating chapters in the DVD...it does not have to be top quality, just want to use DVD so we can easily find what we are looking for and I fell me comfortable having the tapes stored on a disk.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Moved to appropriate forum :)

3. abhim89

abhim89 Guest

Do you have a DVD burner? What video format are you converting the VHS tapes to?

4. khatley

khatley Guest

Yes I have a DVD burner. I have created two types of files, one from the analog source are .wmv files and .avi files from my mini DV camcorder

5. khatley

khatley Guest

Looks like the new NERO will do everything I need, can I get a confirmation if that is the case?

6. abhim89

abhim89 Guest

Yeah, Nero looks like a good option. Make sure you have NeroVision Express (used to convert the avi files, i don't know if it does wmv) and nero/nero express to burn the dvd standard files. (I'm not sure if Nero includes NeroVision). See if that works.

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

khatley, Nero will allow you to do editing, but its interface is extremely poor. I use Roxio EMC7, but that is just a personal choice. I also have Nero.

Also, if at all possible, capture everything to an avi file. They are large files, but you get a better quality video than if you capture to mpeg2.

8. stardust

stardust Regular member

Grandpa is right. Use Nero only for burning, not for encoding. There's a such prog like AVI2DVD (DVD2SVCD) for converting avi to dvd format.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  9. big_nash

big_nash Member

Heya, Big Nash here, new to the forum, new to the game and I been finding this thread pretty damn useful.. I'm in the same position as our man here pretty much so this is all good stuff.. Hear waht you're all saying about AVI as opposed to MPEG, but my question is kinda like this: I been trying to convert an old VHS cassette of mine (length is 70 min approx) and I was wondering is there any way of converting a cassette of this length and having it come in unnder something like 60 GB? Because this is currently too huge a strain on my hard drive (80 GB) for it to run effectively...
    Any help would be sweet, Cheers!!!

10. stardust

stardust Regular member

BigNash - Which program you capture avi? If VirtualDub, select Huffyuv lossless codec for compression (alternative is PICvideo MJPEG codec). The result is an excellent quality avi. File is much smaller than uncompressed avi. The size of file also depends on which resolution you capture.

11. RIVO

RIVO Guest

Hi Folks, Just wanted to give my 2 cents. I was having a hard time trying to duplicate copyrighted VHS to DVD. I finally got it to work. Using an external hp dvd writer dc5000 (199.00), and a SIMA CopyThis Digital Video Enhancer Duplicator Model CT-1 (69.00). I backed up a full protected movie in color into a DVD. The quality is also pretty good.

12. RIVO

RIVO Guest

Purchase CopyThis! Digital Video Enhancer and Duplicator Model CT-1 made by SIMA for $69.00 US, at FRY's Electronics. Can be purchased at any major electronics store. Maybe bestbuy, Compusa or Radio Shack.
    I backed up another full copy protected VHS. But this time I connected the enhancer in between my vhs player and Digital camcorder. And copied the movie into Hi8 8mm tape and then connected my camcorder with the recorded movie to the external writer, HP dvd dc5000 purchased for 199.00. The result is DVD quality movie. Outstanding.

13. JustOk

JustOk Member

Hi,
    I have about 30-40 VHS tapes I want to convert to Dvd. Is it possible to connect the VCR to the computer, save the files then convert? Some are copy protected, some not. Economy is a factor here!
    Thanks...