1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vhs to dvd

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by jonboy766, Feb 22, 2005.

1. jonboy766

jonboy766 Guest

Can somebody help? I am trying to backup my daughters 1000's of vhs to dvd. I can capture onto my hard drive in mpeg2 and even burn onto a dvd-r but the format is not recognised by anything I put it in to play. I think I need to convert mpeg2 to .VOB (video object files) but am unsure. I bought dvd wizard pro to help but cannot make too much sense of it. Can anyone give me a step by step guide or some assistance on vhs to dvd.
    Heres hoping and thanks in advance.

2. pfh

pfh Guest

Your mpegs have to "authored" or "compiled" to a dvd compliant format. That is after compiling your mpeg to a dvd you should end up with a folder containing a audio_ts folder and a video_ts folder. Therefore you will end up with: 1. Your original mpeg and 2. Your new dvd folder. It is this dvd folder that gets burned to a blank dvd for viewing on the player. Check your DVD Wizard pro for guidance on procedure. Hopefully it can burn to disc as well, I'm not familiar with that program.

Your captured mpeg file should play in Window Media Player but what it sounds like your doing is burning that mpeg file onto a dvd disc. Nice backup but it won't be playable on a dvd player.

Hope this helps.

3. jonboy766

jonboy766 Guest

Yes is does help, thanks.

4. sdroxie

sdroxie Member

I did the same thing, copied from old tapes, and created a cool movie using Pinnacle Studio, burning it onto a DVD-R. When I went to play it on our "old" DVD player, it wouldn't work. So I got out the DVD player manual and found that it didn't support DVD-R. I then tried it on my friend's newer DVD player and it worked like a charm. I went out and bought a new Samsung which supports all kinds of formats for $99 at Costco and it players the DVD-R beautifully! Maybe you need a newer DVD player???

5. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

I use Sonic MYDVD and it works great, you can capture with it and then create DVD with menues and the works. Plays fine in Xbox and apex dvd players. You can create dvd's or vcd's. I have not used it but it appears nero OEM with the free updates will do the same.

Good Luck