1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vhs to dvd

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by born2ride, Dec 2, 2006.

1. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

i was questioned about copying my dads train vhs to dvd. i seached some threads from 05. question is what is avaible now and for a fair price and not to hard to use.

2. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

Just buy those new VHS to DVD recorders. Would that not work in your case.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  3. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

i dont know how well they work. do they copy protected stuff too?
    i dont think any of it is but you never know. can you put more than 1 movie on dvd with that? thank

4. Chroma45

Chroma45 Regular member

They won't work with copy protected material. You will need to add a Macrovision removal device (full frame TBC is best but expensive) between the VCR and DVD recorder.

5. HelpPleas

HelpPleas Regular member

I have copied a 3 hour tape from my VHS recorder to DVD on my DVDR.
    The quality was the same as the tape. For me it worked very well.
    But doesn't work for copyrighted material I assume.

6. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

thanks for all the replies. i think what i need to do is make 3 tapes into 1 dvd with menus. so dvdrv is out i believe

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Up to almost 5 hours I'd guess. You could then take the disc and import it into NeroVision Express for some editing, chapter stops and a menu.

You would probably need this also.

http://www.world-import.com/ct-200.htm

8. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

thanks for that info.
    but do i need a tv tuner card in my computer? if so what is a good one out there?

9. Vid_joe

Vid_joe Member

lol.. copy protected vhs is a joke.. all you need is some scotch tape.. see those lil places on the bottom (the square holes) tape those up.. h3ll, pack them full of paper if you dont have tape.. and pop it in and record.. problem solved

now, back to your other question.. about the tv tuner card. Yes and No, yes if you want to run the video from the vcr to your pc, no if you purchase the stand-alone dvd recorder (tv) and just run it from the vcr to the standalone recorder. *note* make sure you run audio rca into the the standalone or you will be watching mimes* Not too long ago I made some copies for my wife for her history class. She had 8 hours worth on several different vhs and I transfered them all to one dvd for her so she wouldnt have to keep popping in a different tape hitting rewind and fast forward (since she had to study the sh!t for a class and all) and I later took that dvd that I had made and did like someone above had suggested, ran it through nero vision express (which came free *oem with my dvd burner in my pc) and put chapter in the appropriate places and such. Take in mind these were history videos so the picture quality didn't matter that much to us but if you want to keep the picture looking good, do not try and fit more than 2-4 hours on a dvd5 because it will look like sh!t

oh yeah and not to brag or anything.. lets just call it luck.. my stand alone recorder will record anything and I have no aftermarket parts on it. It's just a $119 dollar wal-mart special that I actually bought off the display stand. It's just an Emerson EWR10D5 (Sep. 05).. and it records all the premium channels, paperview etc. and I have transferred disney VHS and college course videos all with the same recorder.. maybe its a fluke, maybe the macrovision is bugged.. whatever the cause, I'm very thankful.

*You can fit up to 10 hours onto a DVD5 with it but like I stated above, you really don't want to. I would leave it on the 2 hour recording setting if I were you.. unless you like watching blurry people

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  10. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

vid
    thats something i did not think about. i guess i have to decide what i want. a dvd recorder or tuner card. i wondering what else i can do with the recoder?

11. Vid_joe

Vid_joe Member

I guess that all depends on you.. I can't decide which I like more.. they're both worth having in my opinion. I'm sure one of the guru's here can tell you all about great tv tuner cards, but I think the "All-In-Wonder" card from ATI is pretty cool. I have Nvidia in mine but I really liked the capabilities the all in wonder card has. Which I did not know till after making the purchase on my card. (figures) Happens to me every time I buy something. But if your going with a stand alone recorder (tv) the only regret I have there after making my purchase is I would like one with an internal hard drive. (just a little hind sight for you) But, keeping a few re-writables around is about the same as having an internal hard drive, so thats no major regret. Well, theres my two cents worth.. hope my ramblings help

p.s. In case you don't already know (and some don't) make sure before you buy a card of any sort that you know whether or not you have PCI, AGP, or maybe PCI Express slots in your computer. Otherwise you will be waiting in the very long merchandise return lines during the holidays (nobody wants that)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  12. Grrumpy

Grrumpy Member

vid_joe wrote:
    "I think the "All-In-Wonder" card from ATI is pretty cool"

I have the ATI 9800 AIW, great card except it will not copy Macrovision protected VHS tapes. I bought a Hauppauge PCI Win TV card on eBay, it ignores Macrovision enabling me to copy the tapes to my computer.

13. MysticE

MysticE Active member

What the hell you talking about? Square holes on the bottom? There are no square holes on the bottom. And a piece of tape or a wad of paper will remove copyguard that has been recorded on the magnetic tape? Hardly.
    [​IMG]

14. baaket_na

baaket_na Member

I have no any VHS hardware devices, can I copy my VHS tapes to DVD playable on my DVD player?

15. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

those holes where for copying. if you taped them up you can copy on to the tape. i dont recall them having anythink to do with macro.

16. mairambia

mairambia Guest

visit Convert VHS to DVD and transfer your home video tapes to dvd. You can get a pretty good conversion at a reasonable price from a lot of places. But what are most of these companies lacking? Care and attention to detail! Other ways you get totally amateurish product done with domestic equipment.
    http://www.vhs-to-dvd.com/

17. Vid_joe

Vid_joe Member

It's been a while since I have even so much as seen as a VHS tape other than those history videos and even that has been over a year ago. The hole I was talking about is on the bottom edge, not the back of the tape (like shown in the figure above) but the actual bottom of the tape. But I was wrong about macro protected VHS I guess. Looking back on it, I taped the holes to manipulate the VCR. Say you have a store bought VHS like say a Disney movie and you want to record on it. (If youv'e ever run out of blanks and had to work during the game maybe this has happened to you) you can tape that square hole on the bottom so that the tape can be recorded on. I was a few jager's in when I made that post above, sorry. Anyways as far as macro vhs, had no idea it existed. I never ran into any myself. (but I never really dubbed anything that would have been copy protected back then either. I was still pimple farming and skateboarding when VHS was all we had.