1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vhs to hard drives

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by dormking, Feb 14, 2005.

1. dormking

dormking Member

Can someone explain why instead of downloading all of my old vhs tapes to DVD -- I can't just download them into large hard drives. Wouldn't they be easier to access and couldn't I back them up quickly with another harddrive?
    Finally if this is a good idea, can I save the hard drive videos in MPEG 2 or do I have to do it in AVI or some other format? (I just find burning DVD's slow and clunky.)

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Store them any way you want to.
    WMV and AVI are just two possible formats. Some take up more room than others, depending on compression ratio, codec selected, etc.

3. pfh

pfh Guest

Yeah, just store 'em where you want, however, you might want them to be in dvd compliant structure so as you can play them back thru a dvd software player. It all depends on how you're going to use them (if at all) after there on a HD.
    Like reboot said, size will depend on captured format and capture settings. No matter what you decide, if your collection is large so will your storage needs be.