1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vhs to PC/DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by sandisk, Jan 21, 2008.

1. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Hi there guy's, I'm in a little bit of a situation so hopefully you guy's ahve some suggestions...

Basically my wifes family live in Australia and we're in Ireland and we have some VHS video recorder tapes that i want to put on dvd.

So I have the pc, the video recorder and vhs tapes and blank dvd's :).

Can u guy's tell me what I need to hook up the video recorder to the pc and get the data from the tapes to my hd then onto dvd's.

I've sorta been thrown in at the deep end here and I've no idea how this is gonna work.

So if u guy's have some suggestion on what type of cables ect.. i need, then i'll go to pc world tomorrow and buy what I need.

Thanks
    Sandisk

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  2. attar

attar Senior member

http://www.videohelp.com/capture#9;50
    Capturing video to PC requires some kind of capture card and software.

My personal experience is to capture the tapes from the VCR to a standalone DVD recorder instead.
    If the tapes are unprotected (no macrovision) then connecting the VCR to the DVD recorder is simple and foolproof.
    If the tapes are protected movies (and not all movies are protected) then the video has to pass through an 'image enhancer' which removes the protection.

Some PC capture cards ignore protection on movie tapes, but all of these cards can bring you to tears trying to get them to work properly - not to mention the software.