1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to PC....higher quality hard/software

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by SinoWaver, Apr 22, 2010.

1. SinoWaver

SinoWaver Member

Hi Folks,

Ok, I see there are quite a few threads here about copying over VHS and all interesting.

I haven't tried capturing VHS to PC in a few years and when I did it was using some PCI card (can't remember the name..."* 2000" for $100 at the time) and the software was uber slow (crap really) and the final video quality was really bad (frame rate/screen size).

Is easyCap (EzCap?!) a much better converter? (size:frame rate)

Also, my sister got an old family VHS converted for some bucks, quality was pretty good...but was done using hardware, which of course would yield better results.

What are the top best (cheap) options right now for VHS to PC? (as I only have a few family VHS tapes I want to convert) but quality in framerate:size are paramount.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Most of the typical consumer cards are of average quality, I doubt whether there is
    much to choose between them. You can either use USB in, (EZcap and similar),
    a PCI/PCI-EX TV tuner card with S-video and composite in, or perhaps a Firewire
    card/DV capture using an external device such as ADVC55 by Canopus.
    http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc55

Just capture at full resolution (720*480 NTSC, or 720*576 PAL) and you should be
    OK. Not sure what problem you had with frame rate, it should be 29.97 interlaced
    (NTSC) or 25 FPS interlaced PAL.

3. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

I use a cheapass tevion dvd recorder and rw disks.. the tevion and my antique jvc 3v30 don't recognise macrovision garbage.

4. SinoWaver

SinoWaver Member

Thanks for info Paula_x

Does anyone have an actual example of what EZcap can do? (30 second+ clip or something?)

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  5. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Take a look in youtube - must be plenty of examples there, even tutorials.