1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to Smart TV Advice

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by quarkrad, Mar 6, 2021.

1. quarkrad

quarkrad Member

I'm converting my old vhs tapes to digital (doing this via a capture card) and have a number of 3hr tapes digitised as mp4 files on my pc. (I have done this before, 'back in the day', burning the final conversion on to dvd. This was great because the menu feature on a dvd enabled me to navigate the dvd). Now, many years later, I/we have more options due to technology and I have experimented with streaming these (digitised mp4) files from my pc to my Smart TV over my home lan using a Plex server on my pc and a Plex client on the TV. My experimentation has been successful but I've come to a halt as now think about my need for a dvd type menu, that is essential. Quality is not an issue as my source is only VHS but I'm not sure what and what I cannot do with modern technology. My understanding is Plex type streaming is really for playing single mp4 type files in one go - not jumping about via a dvd type menu. Is it is worth me looking down the 'streaming to Smart TV' approach or should I go back to burning to dvd so that I can have a menu feature?

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

If you have video editing software, you could create a DVD-Video project with a mp4, add a menu, and then burn the project to your hard drive. That will create a Video_TS folder which can be played and it should play the menu. That folder is the same one which would be burned to disc if you burned a DVD.